Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 20th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Beginner

Default alaska cruise in sept - LIKELY any single people?

unfortunately -
the gift to my parents to go to alaska with me has ended with my mom too sick to travel. so I will be going sept 3rd alaska NCL STAR alone.

Is there likely to be any singles? never cruised before... not sure what to expect.

not looking for love boat -just would be nice to be able to meet some other non coupled folks. am 52yr man

thx
Sponsored Links
Old August 21st, 2006, 12:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Yes, there are likely to be many singles, particularly women, in your age range. Most Alaska cruises seem to have activities for singles. Have fun!

Murray
Old August 22nd, 2006, 02:42 PM
Admiral

Robert,

unfortunately -
the gift to my parents to go to alaska with me has ended with my mom too sick to travel. so I will be going sept 3rd alaska NCL STAR alone.

I'm sorry to hear of your Mom's illnesss.

Is there likely to be any singles? never cruised before... not sure what to expect.

The "shoulder seasons" are actually very popular for solo travellers, who are not constrained to school schedules, because fares tend to be lower than during school vacation periods. This is especially true of January and the first half of February, May and early June, and from Labor Day to the middle of December except Thanksgiving week.

Norm.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 12:37 PM
Cruise Maniac

Norm, never mind the fact that the OP is 52 years old, how many people have you seen on an Alaska cruise ship who are "constrained to school schedules"? Maybe 1% - and a whole lot less in "January and the first half of February" ()

Murray
Old August 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Murray,

never mind the fact that the OP is 52 years old, how many people have you seen on an Alaska cruise ship who are "constrained to school schedules"? Maybe 1%

There were a LOT of children of school age, travelling with their parents, on BOTH of my cruises to Alaska. The first was with Princess in August 2002, and the second was with Celebrity in July 2005.

- and a whole lot less in "January and the first half of February"

Yes, that's what I said. Please reread my earlier post, more carefully this time. Grammatically, the commas delimiting the clause "who are not constrained to school schedules" make this clause apply to all solo travellers. Without the commas, this clause would select a subset of all solo travellers.

Norm.
Old August 23rd, 2006, 11:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do post a review of your next January-February cruise to Alaska, Norm....
Old August 24th, 2006, 10:16 PM
Admiral

Murray,

Do post a review of your next January-February cruise to Alaska,

It's pretty obvious that I was speaking more generally than just Alaska..

That said, I have been on a ship in the fjords of the Tromso region of Norway (200 miles north of the Arcitc Circle) in March, so I can tell you from personal expereience that the fjords are quite spectacular with the snow on the mountains at that time of year. I even got to go ashore with the marines for six days on that one!

Norm.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM
Passenger

There aren't to many male singles but lots of women. You'll really be a hit if you are willing to dance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You'll have a wonderful trip regardless.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 03:47 PM
Beginner

MAYBE SHE CAN STILL GO IT'S ALONG WAY OFF YOU CAN ALWAYS CANCEL DID YOU TAKE CRUISE INSURANCE WAS SHE TRAVELLING ALONE?? WHATEVER YOUR ANSWERS YOU'LL HAVE FUN BUT REMEMBER YOU HAVE TO MAKE IT FUN ALSO!! PARTICIPATE IN ACTIVITIES MAKE FRIENDS DON'T BE SHY. MY STORY IS MUCH MORE DEEPER THAN YOURS TRY TO GET FRIENDS TO GO TO ALASKA THEY WANT THE BEACH MY MOM NEVER RAISED AN EYEBROW WHERE WE WENT AS LONG AS WE WENT SOMEWHERE I MISS MY TRAVELLING PARTNER I MISS MY FRIEND MY MOTHER