Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Beginner

Default Ages on Alaska cruise

My husband and I are in are early to mid 30's with no children and have never been on a cruise. We are thinking about an Alaskan cruise but have received mixed reviews from people we know saying it is too old of a crowd for us.
Can anyone add their opinion?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2006, 01:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Husband and I went to Alaska in May'06 on the Carnival Spirit. There were probably 20% passengers in your age bracket, but most of these had very young children with them. About 40-50% of passengers in the 40-55yr. old group( husband and I are 54yrs.old) and the remaining passengers were over 60yrs. old. But these older passengers were having a ball!!!!! Of course, the night life, probably wasn't as exciting as it would be for a Caribbean cruise, but by the time we went on excursions each day, we were pretty well beat at night.
I think that you both would love it...you're young enough to do the more exciting excursions and if you love to hike, you would be in heaven.

If you and your husband are content to be by yourselves and just explore the ship, go on shore excursions, etc. you will love it!!! It was our first trip to Alaska and the pictures and TV programs, just don't do it justice. If you can possibly afford it, be sure to get a room with a balcony. You are almost always within sight of land, my husband stayed on the balcony or up on deck the entire time. We went to the slot machines one time and I think we lost $10 and we went to a couple of shows that the Naturalist had about the area, ports, etc., but we went to see Alaska, not spend our time, hanging out in the bar or gambling.
The Carnival Spirit is a beautiful ship and we had a wonderful and unforgettable experience.
Karen who posts here regularly is the expert when it comes to Alaska, I know she will be giving you some great advice.
We went in May and there was still snow on the mountains, it was just gorgeous!
If you would like any additional info, please feel free to email me.
jsalyers@ehc.edu
Old September 4th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Admiral

fmelviv,

My husband and I are in are early to mid 30's with no children and have never been on a cruise. We are thinking about an Alaskan cruise but have received mixed reviews from people we know saying it is too old of a crowd for us.
Can anyone add their opinion?

I highly recommend going to Alaska while you are young. Alaska has many very active shore excursions, ranging from zip lining and hiking in the wilderness to sea kayaking and glacier treks, that are geared toward young, active passengers. If you wait until you are sixty-something, you might find that you have missed out on some of Alaska's best experiences.

Sure, you might find that "only" 20% of the passengers are adults under 40 -- but so what? On a ship with 2,000 to 2,500 passengers, 20% is 400 to 500 -- certainly plenty of people of similar age with whom to socialize aboard the ship!

That said, I highly recommend stopping at a local bookstore, picking up a guidebook to cruises, and reading the descriptions of the various lines that go to Alaska. The major cruise lines have distinct persoanlities and styles, and you'll have the best experience if you pick a line that's a good match for your personal styles and tastes.

As to itinerary, I hghly recommend a cruise from Vancouver to either Seward or Whittier followed by at least a few days in Anchorage and the interior. While you are at the bookstore, pick up a guidebook to Alaksa so you can get an idea where you want to go and what you want to see.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old September 4th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think you and your husband would love an Alaska cruise, you're never too young. I hope to one day get back and cruise through Alaska again, it was an awesome cruise. There are some great excursions to do as well, I say go for it.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM
Admiral

The bulk of passengers on Alaska cruises is middle aged and above, but all ages sail there. A significant reason to sail there is for what is outside the ship in my opinion. Each port is very worthwhile loaded with wonderful activites. I suggest you never skimp on tours, you get only half a trip without them.

IF you have another week, do consider a one way with added interior Alaska land touring. Take advantage of being all the way there, rather than missing out on some excellent opportunities.
Old September 15th, 2006, 11:34 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I agree with Donna - your never to young! And...you are never to old! When we went, they only had maybe -- MAYBE 5 children on board that I saw. It was so different than the party carribbean cruises - more sedate and relaxing and I definitely want to go again. Its an experience all must experience!
Old September 16th, 2006, 01:05 PM
First Mate

Default Ages on Alanka cruise

It depends on what you can and do at any age.

We went on an Hawaiian cruise with a group (not a club or org.) of 49, ages 46 - 74 and had a ball. Some of the pax in their 30's & 40's ended up "hanging out" and doing some of the things we were doing because we were a go and do bunch and having so much fun. Sometimes a little too much fun.

I am 68 and my DW is 65. The 74 year old in our group could and did outdo most 30 year olds. Some of us are still holding down active, demanding jobs. (not desk bound jobs).

A lot of people want to "steer clear" of us older citizens, but, in my opinion, age doesn't have a lot to do with it. How old do you FEEL, that is the key. I know some couples, and singles, that are in their early thirties, and act and do as if they were 90

There are 54 of us (count thus far) from around this area (some from the Hawaiian group) going on an Alaskan cruise June 2007.

Check us "older generation" out. A lot of us can still "run with the pack."

As the others have posted, you and yours are going to have a GREAT CRUISE.

crabbie1
Old September 28th, 2006, 10:12 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

I would not let any age brackett stop you from going on this cruise. I mean, you aren't going to be hanging out with these people other maybe then dinner or an excursion, right?

Book the cruise & have a wonderful time!!!
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:00 PM
Admiral

As previously mentioned, it all depends on what you want to do on a cruise. We've always sailed warmer waters because we enjoy scuba diving and snorkeling. We are finally sailing Alaska next year (mostly because we got a free cruise, and that is a 14 day one that looks interesting to us) which does look pretty neat, but neither of us are into cold-water diving!

Perhaps talk to you TA and have them give you some ideas of the excursions they usually have.......this board is also a good source of information...

But as I say, ANY cruise is a GOOD cruise!!! Enjoy!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old September 30th, 2006, 07:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
Perhaps talk to you TA and have them give you some ideas of the excursions they usually have.......this board is also a good source of information...

!

Just look at any cruiseline web site and look at the Alaska excursions, most TA's have no more information than this. Narrow down your interests and repost specific questions about tours. I've been on over 100, this isn't the place to skimp, since there are some fantastic tours to consider. There is snorkling out of Ketchikan that uses dry suits. Consistantly raved about.
Old September 30th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Admiral

Thanks for the info, Karen...I've heard that the snorkeling in Alaska is supposed to be pretty spectacular! However, I do NOT like swimming in cold water, so a dry suit would be great!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 19th, 2006, 03:26 AM
Passenger

I just returned from Celebrity Cruise's Summit 14-day cruise to Alaska - September 16 - 30. My 21 y.o. son went with me and there was the daughter of a friend on board that just turned 27. There were quite a few couples that we met personally that were in their early 30's - at least 15 couples - and EVERYBODY had an absolute blast. Fantastic ship; wonderful itinerary - everything - the food, service, cabins, etc. were top notch. Liked it SO much that 17 of us are taking the exact same cruise next year; it is the repositioning cruise.

Caroline