Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:14 PM
Beginner

Default Cruise with 3 and 7 year old- Is RCCL a good choice?

Hi All!

My husband & I are thinking of taking a 7 Day Cruise next July with our two children- ages 3 & 7. Does anyone know if RCCL is a "better" cruise line with regard to kids? Will we annoy everyone at dining time since we'll have a 3yo with us?

Any answers or insights (or tips/suggestions) are appreciated!

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Well, in response to your second question, I think that depends on the two of you. If you allow your 3 yr old to get away with screaming & throwing a temper trantum at dinner, then yes, you will be annoying people. If you're decent and good parents and remove them from the room if they cannot behave, then you will have a lot of fans!

Unfortunately the dinners can be pretty long, so they may get bored. You might try bringing things to keep them occupied or perhaps going out for a quick walk between courses. There is also alternate dining...

Good luck and happy cruising to you!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:38 PM
Beginner

We certainly don't allow him to get away with screaming and throwing tantrums! (In public, anyway!).

But as anyone with kids knows, dining with a 3yo isn't what would be called a "relaxing" experience. We try though.

Do you have any insights as to the RCCL and kids? My "gut" feeling is that they'd be a better cruise line to bring young ones on. But I'm not sure!
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:56 PM
Admiral

Just wanted to say THANK YOU for being an involved and good parent and not letting your kids get away with murder! The stories I could tell you of people just letting their kids go absolutely out of control....

But sincerely, I did want to thank you for being some of the ones who can make my time even more pleasureable by also enjoying your well-behaved kids! I hope to see you on a cruise someday!

8/92 Mex. Riv. Commodore
9/98, 9/00, 9/02 & 7/04 Caribbean - Paradise
10/00, 08/05 Pac. Wtrs. Holiday, Monarch
04/06 Hawaii - Celebrity Summit
09/07 Alaska - Celebrity Summit
07/09 Western Caribbean RCCL Liberty of the Seas
Old October 3rd, 2006, 12:14 AM
Beginner

I know exactly what you're talking about, and "those" kids have ruined many an outing for me, as well!

Thanks and have fun on your cruise, too!
Old October 3rd, 2006, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think for cruising with kids, you can't go wrong with Royal Caribbean, even in Alaska. They have a wonderful kids program and wonderful entertainment..

Message Boards Moderator
Old October 3rd, 2006, 09:40 AM
Beginner

Thank you! That is the info I was looking for! Thank you.
Old November 19th, 2006, 12:46 PM
First Mate

Trace, we cruised Alaska when our kids were 3 and 6 on the Carnival Spirit. Have no idea about RCCL, sorry.

I do know if we sailed to Alaska again we would be happy to cruise the Spirit, she was an awesome ship

They had a BALL! Neither of them would willing leave the Kids Camp and were up and ready to go to camp before it opened!

Our 3 yr old Dd was never a problem in the formal dining room. She had a blast acting all grown up in her dress etc. She is pretty much a non meat eater and enjoyed the "adult" entrees more than the kids menu.

We only ate in the formal dining room twice during our cruise (7 day) and both kids were well behaved both times, unlike some other guest's children. We expect this behavior at home so it was no biggie on the ship.

HAVE FUN, relax and enjoy your time with the family!!!!

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old November 20th, 2006, 07:40 PM
First Mate

unless you are really set on going to Alaka I would go Disney They keep kids entertained all during meals and kids programs are awesome. Always charactures around the ship too. I wouldn't go Disney without children but when we take our granddaughters for their second cruise no way we will go any other cruiseline.
Old November 21st, 2006, 10:56 AM
Admiral

I too suggest, you make your Alaska choice based on the adults. It is an intense destination that offers much more than the Caribbean. Overall you are with older cruises, and far fewer kids on EVERY line compared to the Caribbean. Excursions are costly and lengthy. I would not choose anything over an hour with that age range since you can not predict behavior. As for dining, alt dining is also an option. But you can't go wrong with Alaska, you just have to be well prepared and do your homework. For me, having sailed 5 different lines to Alaska, RCI would be my last choice for their itineraries. My opinion only.
Old November 21st, 2006, 11:29 AM
First Mate

You guys are way to harsh on cruising Alaska with kids. I think you underestimate the behaviors of these little people, give them some credit as well as the parenting.

As I posted earlier, we cruised Alaska with our then 3 and 6 yr old. Both kids behaved very well, never acted out in public etc. Everyone enjoyed the excursions we carefully picked with their interests in mind first. We loved the whale excursion and the White Pass train. Both were lengthy and we had compliments on the kids behavior both times.

We had several children of all ages on board and 99% were well behaved. The teenagers were the most bothersome group of all, not the younger set that stayed with their parents. Our children loved the kids camp and couldn't wait to go every morning, they were busy doing their own thing, not running around the ship unattended.

Sounds like you all have had bad experieces with children (of all ages) on cruises, however please don't discourage this family from this lifetime experience. We saw and did things we would NEVER have been able to do unless we cruised. Don't strip them of their joy!

Sorry to lash out but if a family with younger children so chooses to cruise Alaska then let them enjoy the planning and experience.

2005 Carnival Spirit to Alaska

2007 Carnival Conquest to Western Caribbean

2008 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to New England/Canada

2010 Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas to Southern Caribbean
Old November 22nd, 2006, 09:55 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottiel
You guys are way to harsh on cruising Alaska with kids. I think you underestimate the behaviors of these little people, give them some credit as well as the parenting.

As I posted earlier, we cruised Alaska with our then 3 and 6 yr old. Both kids behaved very well, never acted out in public etc. Everyone enjoyed the excursions we carefully picked with their interests in mind first. We loved the whale excursion and the White Pass train. Both were lengthy and we had compliments on the kids behavior both times.

We had several children of all ages on board and 99% were well behaved. The teenagers were the most bothersome group of all, not the younger set that stayed with their parents. Our children loved the kids camp and couldn't wait to go every morning, they were busy doing their own thing, not running around the ship unattended.

Sounds like you all have had bad experieces with children (of all ages) on cruises, however please don't discourage this family from this lifetime experience. We saw and did things we would NEVER have been able to do unless we cruised. Don't strip them of their joy!

Sorry to lash out but if a family with younger children so chooses to cruise Alaska then let them enjoy the planning and experience.
I get a kick out of these, "my children were always well behaved and never bothersome, never acted out etc. " sorry those are YOUR perceptions. No one is being "harsh" , there is not one mention of "Alaska" priority in the post so suggestions are open. Most times, Alaska tours are TOO long and plenty of complaints about the cost, rarely are there kid's rates. I go on whale watches every trip, AND I have seen way more preschool kids being a problem then your angel. Including this year with a screaming infant that the poor parents were just beside themselves. 3 hours was endless for them. There is some factual information to consider, only they can decide and perhaps these suggestions may be of benefit??
Old November 29th, 2006, 12:05 AM
Admiral

Good advice. Washable crayons and coloring books work as do an emergency supply of graham crackers or goldfish. BTW, get yourself a potato clock, the kind powered by the acid of the vegetable/fruit. Have the kiddos pull a fruit or vegetable from the buffet or cabin fruit basket and keep their clock going. We brought one for the HAL club when in Alaska and the kiddos were amazed at the "batteries" used to power the clock. 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanS
Unfortunately the dinners can be pretty long, so they may get bored. You might try bringing things to keep them occupied or perhaps going out for a quick walk between courses.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas