Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 7th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Familiar Face

Default Which side of ship

Hi- we are planning on going on the Pearl in June 2007. The itinerary shows about a day and a half cruising the Inside Passage. We will get a balcony room-which side of the ship would we see the most wildlife? I know we go back the other way and will see both sides, but which side has more whale possibilities??

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I don't think it really matters which side as long as you do take advantage of your balcony and the upper decks. Spend as much time possible outdoors and enjoy the views. There are some and many areas of the inside passage where its very narrow and you can see land on both sides fairly close.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:00 AM
Familiar Face

Thank you Donna-would we be more likely to see whales in Glacier Bay then?? This is our first Alaska trip!
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

We only saw orca whales while cruising the inside passage, also dolphins. We did an excursion in Juneau with Capt. Larry and saw lots of the humpback whales. I'd recommend booking with him prior to your cruise. He has much smaller boats and guarantees that you see whales, he was great.

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Frankly, most people see NO wildlife from the ship. If you are thinking like the cruise brochures- they are greatly enhanced. Whales also do not only pass one side of the ship.

For whales- if a priority, you need a tour and if you are intent on watching from a cruise ship- you need FRONT viewing, not side, plenty of time, a good pair of wide angle binoculars and the knowledge of areas. Negative of NCL is no ship naturalist. I utilize my platinum status and get my information from the bridge.

Whales are usually not in Glacier Bay- it is Point Adolphus where humpbacks usually are. For a chance of spotting them, again, you need to be out front, at dawn, before you get to Glacier Bay.

Another factor you have to decide upon, is, IF you plan on only viewing Glacier Bay from your cabin, you NEED a port side balcony. But understand, best views are on outside front decks.

I am also on the Pearl in May.
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
We only saw orca whales while cruising the inside passage, also dolphins. We did an excursion in Juneau with Capt. Larry and saw lots of the humpback whales. I'd recommend booking with him prior to your cruise. He has much smaller boats and guarantees that you see whales, he was great.
Humpbacks
Old November 9th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Familiar Face

Karen-thatnks for the great info. We are Platnium also-do you go through the concierge to get to the bridge??

Donna, is Capt Larry an independent or through the ship??

Thank you all so much for the info!

Terri
Old November 10th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Admiral

I call the bridge though the purser's first. Some cpts have been better than others. I got a good "in" introducing myself at the coctail parties.

For bridge information to be useful you need to know the areas to ask about, and your timing on your itinerary. You can't just call up and ask - where are the whales. The bridge information is for location timing only, which is my request- are we going through that particular area. So do your homework. I plan on a GPS my next trip in May.

Cpt. Larry is Orca Enterprises. I highly recommend them, a top vender that I have been a customer of for years. www.orcaenterprises.com
Old November 10th, 2006, 11:35 AM
Familiar Face

Thanks for the great info!

Terri