Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 25th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to grammiedo
Default Shuttles between Seattle and Vancuver

we are going on a cruise out of vancouver but flying into seattle and would like suggestions on best shuttle to use between seattle and vancouver. any help or suggestions would be appreciated we dont leave untill May 07.
Sponsored Links
Old November 25th, 2006, 10:10 PM
Admiral

grammiedo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
we are going on a cruise out of vancouver but flying into seattle and would like suggestions on best shuttle to use between seattle and vancouver. any help or suggestions would be appreciated we dont leave untill May 07.
It's best to fly into Vancouver International Airport (YVR) if it's possible to do so. There are a lot more flights now, as the major airlines seem to have caught onto the cruise business. That way, the transfer is local, taking about forty-five minutes, rather than international, taking four to five hours on a good day. (I speak from experience on this. I have done both.)

But if you absolutely must fly into Seattle instead of Vancouver, I strongly recommend using the cruise line's transfer. The cruise line monitors their transfers very closely, and will delay the ship's departure if that transfer gets dellayed in traffic or gets delayed clearing immigration and customs at the border. If you arrange an indendent transfer and get delayed in the same way, the ship will not wait for you.

Norm.
Old November 25th, 2006, 10:14 PM
First Mate

go to quickshuttle.com. they are very reliable and they are right at the seattle airport to take you too vancouver. they drop off at yvr or hotels downtown vancouver or the canadian place dock. i have used them and they are a great way to save money on the cost of flying into vancouver. the bus is very comfortable with a restroom and rides smoothly.

give yourself plenty of time to get to the ship ( i go the day before ) and even more time to get back to seattle airport when you get off the ship. check their schedule carefully on their site for the times they get back for any flight out on the same day.

have a great time
Old November 26th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I most always fly into Seattle and completely disagree with Rev. It is NOT the best to only consider flying into Vancouver- I have had significant customs delays here too. And only taking the cruise contracted bus, which is the highest transfer cost, isn't the best option either.

If you come into Seattle- you are best to consider an overnight prior- and definately necessary if you can't get a 10am or earlier arrival.

I most always drive, one way rentals plentiful I have gone with Alamo, Avis, Budget and National, there is also Hertz. I book the cheapest. Quick shuttle is a well run company with comfortable buses, I've used them once. Amtrak is probably one of the best options to consider since it is so scenic and an added adventure. One train daily leaves Seattle early morning for about a noon arrival. Add cab costs, $35 Seatac/Seattle. Or pack light and take the Skytrain to Water front station and walk to Canada Place $2.25ca The return train doesn't leave until 6pm, so look at Quick Shuttle for the return.

With an overnight- which I ALWAYS do, I most often stay in Bellingham prior to the cruise. With an early start, I have little border delay and can be downtown Vancouver in a little over an hour- with plenty of time for some Vancouver sightseeing- Stanley Park is wonderful

Have a GOOD downtown Vancouver map, it is all stop and go traffic. You would want a DOWNTOWN Vancouver drop off/pick up and NOT the Vancouver airport. I always walk to the downtown rental offices, easy with no luggage or mobility limitations. Drop off/pick up at the dock first.
Old November 26th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to grammiedo
Default thanks for all the info

thanks for all the info. I should have thought to post that yes we are coming in 2 days prior and leaving 2 days later. So Karen your info was helpful because we were actually thinking of the rental car one way drop off but were not sure as to any hassles or not crossing boarder. Airfare is so much less coming into Seattle. Thanks again for everyones info. Any good hotel suggestions for Seattle? We already have Vancouver Booked.
Old November 26th, 2006, 06:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Shuttles between Seattle and Vancuver

You really should try taking a cab from SEATAC to the King Street Station and hop the Amtrak up the coast and then the Sky Train or cab to One Canada Place. I've taken both shuttle and train and the train is much more scenic. At least try the train for one leg?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammiedo
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old November 26th, 2006, 11:17 PM
Admiral

Default Re: thanks for all the info

grammiedo,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
thanks for all the info. I should have thought to post that yes we are coming in 2 days prior and leaving 2 days later. So Karen your info was helpful because we were actually thinking of the rental car one way drop off but were not sure as to any hassles or not crossing boarder. Airfare is so much less coming into Seattle. Thanks again for everyones info. Any good hotel suggestions for Seattle? We already have Vancouver Booked.
If you are going to drive a rental car across the border, you need to make sure that your rental contract allows that and you also need to have insurance coverage that's valid in both countries. Standard U. S. policies do NOT provide coverage in Canada and standard Canadian policies do NOT provide coverage in the United States. You may find that the rental car companies' surcharges for one way rental, cross-border travel, and foreign insurance will change the economics pretty dramatically.

Also, bear in mind that Karen travels to Canada and Alaska several times per year, so she knows "the system" very well. If you are not familiar with the process of crossing the border, etc., this approach may be less suitable for you.

Norm.
Old November 28th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Passenger

I agree with Anton. We have always flown into Seattle for our 4 Alaska cruises. Quick Shuttle picks you up at the airport & delivers you to your hotel in Vancouver. Customs didn't take very long. The bus driver knows how to avoid any traffic. Just make sure you have reservations ahead of time, buying a ticket at the airport does not quarantee a seat on the bus. They take reserved passengers first. The 1:00 pm bus is the best time to reserve - it will get you into Vancouver before evening rush hour. We've never had trouble getting around Vancouver, taxis & public transportation is easy. We've always had Holland America get us back to Seattle with flights departing after 2pm. Quick Shuttle will pick you up with several stops in the downtown area.
Von Princ
Zaandam, 2001
Amsterdam 2003
Zaandam 2004
Volendam 2006
Oosterdam 2007
Old November 28th, 2006, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Last trip with Quickshuttle this fall Canadian customs decided all articles had to be removed from the bus, matched with owners, declared and etc. This caused about an hour delay. Customs can be a hit or miss affair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonPrinc
I agree with Anton. We have always flown into Seattle for our 4 Alaska cruises. Quick Shuttle picks you up at the airport & delivers you to your hotel in Vancouver. Customs didn't take very long.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old December 2nd, 2006, 09:55 PM
Admiral

One thing to keep in mind - traffic in and out of Vancouver is always "rush hour". We live about a half hour away and no way will I drive in . I would shuttle if I were you - you will be much more rested when you get here. Customs is generally much more lax at the border crossings than at the airport. We generally drive to Seattle from here wherever we fly - saves a bundle. We have so many "added on charges" from YVR sometimes it doubles the actual air fare.

Any Vancouver questions - feel free to ask. We get the entertainment book every year and don't use many of the "touristy" type coupons - if there is anything you want to see or do just e-mail me and I can check if there is a two for one offer in the book. Any way to save a buck lol.

TTFN Jennifer

Next - North to Alaska - September, 2007