Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:30 AM
Beginner

Default Diamond Princess vs. Island

I originally wanted to book the Diamond Princess but they were all booked up so we had to use the next best date for us, and ended up on the Island Princess. Has anyone by any chance been on both and tell me what the comparison is? I know Island is considerably smaller, will that affect the quality of our vacation? TIA for any comments
Sponsored Links
Old December 26th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Admiral

babybaby,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I originally wanted to book the Diamond Princess but they were all booked up so we had to use the next best date for us, and ended up on the Island Princess. Has anyone by any chance been on both and tell me what the comparison is? I know Island is considerably smaller, will that affect the quality of our vacation? TIA for any comments
I have not been on either of those vessels, but I have been on MV Grand Princess and many times on MV Sun Princess and all three her sisters. I found that the layout of MV Grand Princess had many seemingly minor, but nonetheless very annoying, flaws, and the design of MV Diamond Princess copied most of them. By contrast, MV Sun Princess has the best layout of any ship on which I have ever cruised, and MV Island Princess has a number of improvements upon that design. MV Island Princess also has substantially all of the facilities and amenities that you would expect to find on MV Diamond Princess. Overall, I think that you came out ahead on this one!

That said, I would strongly recommend that you book one seating or the other in "Traditional Dining" if you are cruising aboard MV Island Princess. Princess's ships that offer "Anytime Dining" seem to get a significant number of very incosiderate passengers who book "Traditional Dining" and then decide to go to "Anytime Dining" for the duration of the cruise, but don't bother to inform the Maitre d'Hotel of that decision so the Maitre d'Hotel can reassign their place to passengers who are on the waiting list for "Traditional Dining." Thus, on ships with only two main dining rooms, the dining room that operates "Anytime Dining" may well end up serving a grossly disproportionate percentage of the passengers. This situation obviously can cause long waits for tables, especially at peak times, in "Anytime Dining." If you book "Traditional Dining," OTOH, you'll have a table awaiting your arrival at the appointed time every evening in the other main dining room. As a bonus, you also will find that the service is somewhat more proficient in "Traditional Dining" because your waitstaff get to know your preferences on the first evening or two and anticipate your requests thereafter.

Norm.
Old January 10th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Cruise Maniac

We've been on both. We went with Cruisemates to Hawaii round-trip out of San Pedro and previous to that, we did a 10 day on Diamond over a New Year's holiday. We enjoyed them both ALOT and felt the quality and service was pretty much equal. The difference is the amount of walking you will need to do on Diamond. We never did see the entire ship (could of, but we had a balcony) <g> Diamond wasn't as easy to find our way around on and Island was VERY easy and comfortable. Really loved her.

Shar