Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Passenger

Default how different is an alaskan cruise..?

compared to .. say a caribbean one?

Besides the beauty and the sightseeing, I don't see how it would be nice to be cruising in cold weather? bundled up in jackets instead of bikinis and flip flops! I'd really like to know!! What would you be doing on sea days if you can lie out on the deck to relax and tan... ?
Sponsored Links
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:01 AM
Admiral

Default Re: how different is an alaskan cruise..?

beckysharlene,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You

Besides the beauty and the sightseeing, I don't see how it would be nice to be cruising in cold weather? bundled up in jackets instead of bikinis and flip flops! I'd really like to know!! What would you be doing on sea days if you can lie out on the deck to relax and tan... ?
Well, cruise ships only go to Alaska from May to September so the weather is not all that cold except in the vicinity of glaciers. Temperatures tend to be in the 60's around Ketchikan and 70's around Skagway and Anchorage.

That said, the primary difference between an Alaska cruise and a Caribbean cruise is the nature of the attractions. Alaska offers the most diversity of any cruise destination. You have the natural beauty of the gorgeous landscapes, abundant nature (both flora and fauna), the indigenous heritage of the Tlingit Aleut, and Eskimo tribes, the Russian heritage (most prevalent around Sitka and Juneau), the history of the Gold Rush (the "Days of '98" built Skagway and the White Pass & Yukon Route), the salmon industry (and fishing is still a popular recreatonal activity), and the modern influence of the 20th century that developed a major commercial and transportation center at Anchorage and that led to the development of the Alaska Pipeline. You will find more diversity of activities and shore excursions in Alaska than in any other cruise destination, including Europe!

Of course, the other major difference is that Alaska's attractions do not center around swimming, snorkeling, sailing, and sunbathing, which clearly are major attractions of the Caribbean and the Mexican Riviera.

And if you are going to Alaska, I recommend spending a few days seeing the interior before or after your cruise. If you can only manage a weekend, get a hotel in Anchorage and use it as a base for day trips. If you have more time, you can drive up to Fairbanks with an overnight stop at Denali. And, in any case, be sure to reserve your accommodations and your rental car in advance!

Norm.
Old January 15th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: how different is an alaskan cruise..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckysharlene

Not to say that Caribbean and Alaskan cruisers are mutually exclusive since I have enjoyed both destinations, but these trips attract a different crowd. Comparing to a land vacation, some enjoy a beach while others the mountains. Those who cruise Alaska are the same ones who might also visit Crater Lake(see picture) and other mountain destinations. We don't care about our suntans.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Admiral

There is a big difference in Alaska and Caribbean cruises. Frankly, I'm pretty bored on sea days in the Caribbean. In Alaska - if you choose to, there can be spectacular scenery during your sailing. If really interested, you may be able to spot some wildlife. Ports in Alaska are all distinctly different and worthwhile. Unlike the Caribbean which most itineraries seem to have a crappy port added- my opinion only.

I've been on a lot of cruises- #47 next week and my preference is definately Alaska.
Old January 15th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Captain

If you want to see Alaska AND wear a bikini and flipflops...book a ship with a covered pool.
Old January 16th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Admiral

"...the Caribbean which most itineraries seem to have a crappy port added- my opinion only"
That's mine as well. While I do love the Carribbean cruises, the ports of call are much better in Alaska. I might go so far as proclaim that the worst port of call on the Alaska itenerary is still MUCH better than the best in the Caribbean.

/ticker.png">
Old January 16th, 2007, 02:31 AM
Admiral

Thoth,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
I might go so far as proclaim that the worst port of call on the Alaska itenerary is still MUCH better than the best in the Caribbean.
I would not go that far. I have been to some ports of call in Alaska that are very slim pickings and to some ports of call in the Caribbean that have a lot to offer. Nonetheless, the major ports of call in Alaska, like Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, and Skagway, certainly offer more shore excursions and activities than any other ports of call anywhere in the world.

Norm.
Old January 16th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Passenger

interesting.. thanks for the info everyone. i think hanging out in the sun in my summer clothes is more appealing.. for now anyways!!
i would love to see the sights in alaska though.. but i dont think i can handle bundling up on a cruise ship
Old January 17th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Admiral

" Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka, and Skagway,"
That's the ones I've been to, plus Victoria BC. 8)

/ticker.png">