Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 1st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Passenger

Default Skagway or Sitka?

From the the 2 cruises that we were looking at, one does the sitka stop the other does the skagway stop.

From my research it looked like skagway was a more popular destination.

This is our frist trip up there and we probably wont go again for a while.
In that case, which one should we pick?

Also, if Sitka has more nature/wildlife foresty type activities....we're really not into that.

K
Sponsored Links
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Captain

We preferred Skagway over Sitka. Easier to get to, no tendering (in our trips), longer time in port.
We also had an issue with the friendliness of the clerks in the shops. 3 different shops we met rude sales clerks. Might have just been bad luck our our part however.
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:16 PM
Beginner

Send a message via MSN to steveknj Send a message via Yahoo to steveknj

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC
We preferred Skagway over Sitka. Easier to get to, no tendering (in our trips), longer time in port.
We also had an issue with the friendliness of the clerks in the shops. 3 different shops we met rude sales clerks. Might have just been bad luck our our part however.
Forgive my ignorance, but what is "tendering"?
Old February 1st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Passenger

Thanks....
Our main goal was to make this a sight seeing trip mainly.
The place with more picturesque views is where we would like to go--maybe even excursions up mountains and 1-2 hour treks would suit us great.

I have requested brochures from both places too.
Old February 1st, 2007, 06:14 PM
Captain

Tendering is when the ship can't dock at a pier. So you have to get in long line for the small tender boats to take you from the ship to the shore. If you've pre-booked a tour through the ship you'll get priority for the tender boats.
All ships in Sitka must tender. We arrived late in Sitka so between that and the time to tender we didn't have much time for sightseeing. We did some shopping and then got into a long line for the tenders returning to the ship.
On our trips to Skagway there were 4 ships in town and room for all at the pier. No tendering. I assume on a busier day there might be. We were also in town from early morning to early evening so there was plenty of time for the White Pass rail trip, hiking, shopping, etc.

Usually in Juneau and Ketchikan there will be a ship or two tendering and the others at the docks.
Old February 3rd, 2007, 12:49 PM
Admiral

I found BOTH Sitka and Skagway to be very good and well worth seeing.
One thing to ask yourself="Do you love antique trains?" If so, then Skagway's White Pass Railroad is a "must see". Another thing I liked about Skagway was the old West abience. It has been restored to an c. 1900 appearance. It is however a small place, compared to the other ports.
Sitka has much more to see within walking distance. It is a very historical town and was founded by Russians. This is where Alaska was purchased from Russia in the "Seward's folly". There is the "cathedral", Russian Bishops House, Raptor Center, Shelton Jackson Museum, and the dancers.
Unless one wishes to ride a train, I would recommend Sitka.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 4th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Passenger

Skagway has beautiful moutain scenery but you will not see much wildlife. Sitka would be my choice if wildlife is your main interest. Last year we went with Davey at Esther G. His web site is www.puffinandwhales.com--would highly recommend. We seen more whales, puffins, sea otters and many other birds than had seen in any other nature tour. It was an experience of a life time.
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:28 AM
First Mate

Good Morning,
We went to both Skagway and Sitka. In my opinion, the are each different. Skagway has a lot to do and see, and in Sitka, there is the Eagle Rehabilitation Center, and also alot about Russian history, since it use to be the Russian capital in Alaska. From what you stated above, I think you would enjoy Skagway more.

Have a great trip whatever you decide, as they are both great stops,
Kathy