CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Dog Sledding or Glacier Landing Excursion (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/328218-dog-sledding-glacier-landing-excursion.html)

lbernardy February 16th, 2007 02:53 PM

Dog Sledding or Glacier Landing Excursion

If you had to choose between the 2 excursions (dog sled and glacier landing) which would you do and why? When doing the dog sled excursion, do you actually land on the glacier and do you see as much as you would if you went on the Glacier Excursion?? Any advice would be great!

LB

Kuki February 16th, 2007 06:53 PM

When we did the helicopter and dog sledding out of Juneau we did indeed land right on a glacier where they've located the dog camp, and got to "mush" along the glacier for about an hour.

It was terrific!

We've done a glacier landing without the sledding as well, but the combination was terrific, and I'd highly recommend it.

lbernardy February 16th, 2007 09:08 PM

Kuki,

Thanks for the info. All this is so confusing since this is our first time going to Alaska. My husband is going to be more adventuresome and is doing a level 2 trekking on the glacier. I just didn't know if I should do the dog sledding or the glacier landing.

Thanks again for your advice!!

LB

Karen16 February 19th, 2007 02:31 PM

With a regular glacier helicopter landing you also get far more ice than with the glacier dog sledding excursions. Also for clairfication- you DO NOT drive your own sled, like implied above. You are in tantun with a driver. You can ride the breaks or ride in the basket. You are not making the decisions about commands.

If you want true dog sledding, head up in the winter and take their dog school classes. I did this a few years ago and experienced 3 trips since then. :)

benlandon4 April 9th, 2007 05:27 PM

can you recommend a company for dog sledding and glacier landings.

CanCanCase April 9th, 2007 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by benlandon4
can you recommend a company for dog sledding and glacier landings.

Temsco, ERA and Coastal are the 3 volume operators in Juneau. Check with the companies directly about the status of their dog camps, or book the excursion via the cruise line if that route suits you best.

-Case

therese_duval May 5th, 2007 04:38 PM

We want to do the combo dog sledding and glacier trip. Will there be ice/snow on the ground or will be pulled on wheels?
Also two ports offer dog sledding. Which tour is better?
Thanks for your help!

CanCanCase May 5th, 2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by therese_duval
We want to do the combo dog sledding and glacier trip. Will there be ice/snow on the ground or will be pulled on wheels?
Also two ports offer dog sledding. Which tour is better?
Thanks for your help!

The dog camps are on glaciers, so there will be ice/snow - as opposed to the wheeled sled camps up north.

Both Juneau and Skagway offer tours on the same ice field. Go with the tour/port that best fits your schedule.

-Case