Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
Passenger

Default [b]Formal Nights on Celebrity Mercury[/b]

Are the Alaska cruise formal nights any less formal just by the nature of the destination? I guess my question is will be husband be ok without a "suit"? Are dress slacks and coat and tie acceptable?
Sponsored Links
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:24 PM
Admiral

No........Alaska is just as formal if not a bit more....IMHO.......As long as they are black.....or dark.......just like any other cruise.......

Enjoy your cruise............Mercury is a great ship.......

Sharon
Old February 21st, 2007, 06:26 PM
Captain

On our Alaskan cruise on Mercury, sport coat and tie were fine on formal nights. They didn't have to be dark. Purists might not like it but I heard no complaints about sports coats and ties.........
fyi, I wore a dark suit and was fancier dressed than most men although there were some tuxes..
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Default Re: [b]Formal Nights on Celebrity Mercury[/b]

Susan & Glen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Are the Alaska cruise formal nights any less formal just by the nature of the destination? I guess my question is will be husband be ok without a "suit"? Are dress slacks and coat and tie acceptable?
Celebrity generally draws a much dressier crowd than other cruise lines, in part because the line still has "informal" evenings in addition to the "formal" evenings. On a seven night Celebrity cruise, that the first evening, the last evening, and one of the three evenings in the middle of the cruise will be "casual," the other two of the middle three evenings will be "informal," and the second evening and the next to last evening will be "formal." Tthe "formal" evenings definitely call for either "black tie" (that is, dinner jacket outfit or tuxedo) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK, though not necessarily black -- business suit for gentlemen. The dress slacks and sport coat or "blazer" (necktie apparently no longer required) are the proper attire for the "informal" evenings.

Norm.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 10:13 AM
Passenger

Wow....some say sport coat and tie are ok and some say business suit or tux are required. Now I'm even more confused!!! We've never been on a cruise, so I don't know the lingo either - what does IMHO mean?
Susan
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Captain

Believe me when I say that nobody complained, at least outwordly, at the men who were wearing sports coats and ties on formal nights on any of our cruises. In fact I heard no complaints about the men who dressed even less formal than that. Oh, I'm sure some people whispered how horrible it was that they were under dressed.
Don't stress too much about it. Wear what you'd wear at a nice restaurant and you'll be fine.
If someone wants to ruin their dinner because some stranger at another table is underdressed........that's a bit sad IMHO.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Susan,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Wow....some say sport coat and tie are ok and some say business suit or tux are required. Now I'm even more confused!!! We've never been on a cruise, so I don't know the lingo either - what does IMHO mean?
I'm getting a sense that your confusion might be related to the fact that that Celebrity holds both "formal" and "informal" (which is not the same as "casual") evenings, as your original question asked whether attire that meets Celebrity's published dress standard for the "informal" evenings (that is, a sport coat) would be appropriate to wear on the "formal" evenings (which require either "black tie" or a dark business suit). Your cruise to Alaska will have two (2) "formal" evenings, two (2) "informal" evenings, and three (3) "casual" evenings -- that is, three distinct standards of evening dress.

In my experience (nine cruises on Celebrity within the last four years), over 99% of the line's passengers conform to or exceed the line's dress codes, so those who don't conform really do stand out. If you have any doubts about Celebrity's published dress codes, err on the side of overdressing rather than underdressing.

I should also mention that Celebrity is getting a LOT of passenger complaints when the line's ships fail to enforce dress codes. The line may well start stricter enforcement of dress codes -- without notice -- in response to the volume of such complaints.

And "IMHO" = "In My Humble Opinion."

Norm.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Passenger

Thanks for all the advice!
Old February 23rd, 2007, 12:54 PM
Captain

Even though the advice is conflicting?

You'll have a great cruise I'm sure.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 06:27 PM
Admiral

I agree with Peter............we seemed to be the odd balls.....we were dressed formal & others weren't........as long as you are comfortable don't worry about it.......just go to have a good time & relax & enjoy.......

Sharon