Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 22nd, 2007, 02:00 PM
xcomet

Default whittier sewar anchorage

hi
We usually cruise rcl, and so new to carnival. WE will either embark or disembark out of whittier? What do you suggest? Looking at this summer and looking quick.
also want to do the exit glacier in seward. any way to get there and back from either landing in anchorage or whittier?
so do i fly into anchorage , go to the exit glacier , then on to ship?
or vice versa? how many days will i need? how do i do it?
i went to the alaska railroad website and it doesnt say how long each leg of the trip will take.
HELP
Sponsored Links
Old February 22nd, 2007, 04:03 PM
Admiral

xcomet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
hi
We usually cruise rcl, and so new to carnival. WE will either embark or disembark out of whittier? What do you suggest? Looking at this summer and looking quick.
also want to do the exit glacier in seward. any way to get there and back from either landing in anchorage or whittier?
so do i fly into anchorage , go to the exit glacier , then on to ship?
or vice versa? how many days will i need? how do i do it?
i went to the alaska railroad website and it doesnt say how long each leg of the trip will take.
HELP
You will have to visit Seward on your own before the start of the cruise. That means flying into Anchorage at least two or three days early so you have time to go to Seward and see whatever you want to see there before going to Whittier to board your ship. Basically, you have two options.

>> The Alaska Railroad provides scheduled passenger service between Anchorage, Seward, and Whittier, so you could easily go between these cities by train. Be sure to check the train schedule before you book hotels and flights.

>> You could rent a car at Anchorage International Airport, drive to Seward, and return to Anchorage on the day before embarkation. If you arrange a hotel stay for the night before embarkation through your cruise line, the hotel package will include the cruise line's transfer from the hotel to the pier in Whittier.

Of course, Royal Caribbean's itinerary would provide a much simpler solution since the cruise would begin or end in Seward rather than in Whittier. You could arrange a hotel for the last night in Seward and take the train there on the day before embarkation (or the night after disembarkation). On embarkation (or dsembarkation) day, it would be a short taxi ride from the hotel to the pier (or from the pier to the hotel).

These comments obviously assume a southbound cruise, embarking in Whittier. If you take the cruise northbound instead, disembarking in Whittier, it would be exactly the reverse.

I should mention that Anchorage is a wonderful city with a great downtown. There are many points of interest, interesting shops, and great restaurants right in the downtown area. There's also an open air market and some kind of street festival almost every weekend during the summer.

Have a great cruise!

Norm.
Old February 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Familiar Face

I have a small group that is flying into Anchorage for a pre cruise week.
We are renting a car from the downtown Avis office as it had a cheaper rate. Spending first night in Anchorage, then 2 night Seward so we can do the full day Fjords tour then on to Homer for 2 days before returning the car in Whitter before embarkation.
We like the fact that this southbound sailing had a bit more port time over the northbound route.
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Admiral

[quote="Rev22:17"]xcomet,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
hi

>> The Alaska Railroad provides scheduled passenger service between Anchorage, Seward, and Whittier, so you could easily go between these cities by train. Be sure to check the train schedule before you book hotels and flights.

Norm.

This is NOT an option unless you take the train twice. You can NOT go between Seward and Whittier, without doing TWO separate trains back and forth to Anchorage.
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Admiral

I would rethink Exit Glacier, it is hardly worth a separate trip to Seward, if you are in Whittier. Out of Whittier there are superior glacier boat tours to consider. Also with a car, you can go to Portage Glacier visitor center and or the short Portage Glacier boat cruise. Some hiking available in the area too. I would not go all the way to Seward if Exit Glacier is your only reason.
Old February 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Familiar Face

Any additional info on the street fair is appreciated or a site to see dates.
Festivale 1990
Tropicale 1992
Holiday 1994
Inspiration 1996
Celebration 1998
Inspiration 2000
Elation 2001
Destiny 2002
Glory 4/24/04
Spirit 10/09/04
Liberty 9/05
Liberty 4/1/06
Spirit 8/1/07 Alaska
Spirit 4/6/08 Mexico
Elation 5/14/09 Catalina
Triumph 9/26/09 New England
Miracle 3/27/11 & 4/4/11 B2B

Next
Spirit 4/28/2012
Old February 26th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Admiral

Karen16

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
This is NOT an option unless you take the train twice. You can NOT go between Seward and Whittier, without doing TWO separate trains back and forth to Anchorage.
There's actually a common intermediate stop, as I suspected when I wrote my earlier post. Both trains stop at Girdwood, which is about 40 miles south of Anchorage, by Mount Alyeska Resort, so one could change trains there. Unfortunately, the train schedules require an overnight stay in one place or the other because there's only one train per day to Seward and it is not timed to make the connection. That's poor scheduling on the part of the railroad!

Practically speaking, though, Mount Alyeska Resort is pretty pricy so it's probably less expensive to go all the way to Anchorage and back instead. OTOH, a web search of "Mount Alyeska Resort" turns up other accommodations in the town that might be less expensive than the resort.

Norm.
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Passenger

Listen to Karen. Whittier is not anywhere close to being a true intermediate stop on the way to/from Seward and Anchorage. Although. in a convoluted way it can be accomplished. Girdwood is close to Mt. Alyeska and the resort there is one I highly recommend. But Girdwood is still a few miles west of the resort area and Whittier is many miles southeast of Girdwood, and even after that you must pass through a mountain range [restricted long tunnel]. The Alyeska Prince is a great place to stay and there are also some excellent B&Bs in the vicinity, however, don’t lose your concentration here. It is really, Anchorage to Seward or Anchorage to Whittier. Make up your mind. From the sounds of your post, I suggest you forget Seward. I highly recommend Seward if you are going to spend a little time in the community there. If not, forget it. Glacier and wilderness excursions out of Whittier, on the northwest side of Prince William Sound have much more to offer than Seward’s Resurrection Bay does.