CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   How Dressed up is dinning on Princess??? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/329736-how-dressed-up-dinning-princess.html)

FLPalm March 12th, 2007 09:31 AM

How Dressed up is dinning on Princess???

This is our very 1st 7 day cruise. We really are more of a jeans and t-shirt people, but can we get away with nice dress pants and nice shirt if we wanted and not the long formal attire?

Donna March 12th, 2007 04:54 PM

Hi Becky,
You should have two formal nights onboard, men should wear dark suits or tux's and woman, nice dresses, cocktail or long. I feel more comfortable in a short cocktail type dresss, but you will see a lot of everything.

Kuki March 12th, 2007 05:56 PM

If you're determined to avoid formal nights, you can dine at the Horizon Court (Lido Deck) in casual wear.

FLPalm March 12th, 2007 06:17 PM

Thanks for your replys. We will using the Lido deck :wink:

Rev22:17 March 12th, 2007 07:47 PM

Becky,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Thanks for your replys. We will using the Lido deck

Let me discourage you from "skipping out" of the "formal" evenings for two reasons.

>> 1. On the "formal" evenings, Princess really "pulls out all the stops" with the best menus in the main dining room and special events that are very memorable (I won't disclose the details here so as not to spoil the surprise).

>> 2. When I was last on Princess, the stated policy was that "the prescribed evening dress applies throughout the ship after 6:00 PM, except in designated casual areas" and the options for "casual" entertainment were extremely limited. If you "opt out" of the "formal" evening, you might find that your only options for enterainment are "Movies Under the Stars" (MUTS), if you are on a ship that has them, and the television in your stateroom. Even worse, the weather in Alaska's inside passage tends to be a bit chilly (low temperatures in the 40's F) and rainy, making MUTS not so viable.

If you don't want to pack and transport formalwear, Princess offers a very confenient rental service for both gents and ladies. The line will deliver formalwear to your cabin on embarkation day. When you depart, you just leave it there.

But if the issue is simply not wanting to dress up for the two "formal" evenings, I urge you to reconsider because you will miss out on so much if you don't join in the fancy fun!

Norm.

Janice Marie March 12th, 2007 09:25 PM

Hi Becky: Norm is absolutely correct. Don't miss formal nights. They are special and fun. While you'll see tuxes and cocktail/formal wear, you'll also see men wearing sports coats, shirts and ties or suits and ladies dressed in dressy tops and nice slacks. Very few women wore long formal dresses.

FLPalm March 12th, 2007 09:33 PM

Thanks Janice that makes me feel a lot bit better. I'm OK with dress pants with dressy tops. That I have from my work Christmas party. But I'm not going out and spend $$$ for a formal outfit when I would never wear it again.

Rev22:17 March 13th, 2007 08:16 AM

Janice Marie,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
Hi Becky: Norm is absolutely correct. Don't miss formal nights. They are special and fun. While you'll see tuxes and cocktail/formal wear, you'll also see men wearing sports coats, shirts and ties or suits and ladies dressed in dressy tops and nice slacks. Very few women wore long formal dresses.

Unfortunately, you are right as to what you actually will see on "formal" evenings on a Princess ship in Alaska. Nonethless, the prescribed dress for gentlemen is either "black tie" (tuxedo or dinner jacket) or a dark -- and I do mean DARK -- business suit on the "formal" evenings. Thus, a sport coat or blazer realy is not proper.

That said, I will say that I don't find men (a "genleman" would know better...) who show up in a sport coat and tie on the "formal" evenings to be anywhere near as offsensive as those who make no effort. In most cases, the men who commit this social faux pas do so out of legitimate misunderstanding (no, a "sport coat" or "blazer" is NOT the same thing as a "dinner jacket"...) rather than out of sheer arrogance and disregard for others.

Norm.

jq March 14th, 2007 09:54 AM

We just got off the Dawn in Feb, and as I recall this subject, the dress code only applies to the dining rooms, not the whole ship. It does look funny though when everyone is dressed up and someone is walking around in shorts and t-shirt. And we did see this a couple of times. There were also dockers and collared shirts without jacket in dining rooms on formal nights, but didn't see that many.

Rev22:17 March 14th, 2007 01:30 PM

jq,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
We just got off the Dawn in Feb, and as I recall this subject, the dress code only applies to the dining rooms, not the whole ship.

If you still have it, please check your "Princess Patter" for the first day of the cruise and see what it says.

If so, this would be a major change in Princess's policy. In the past, the block on dress codes in the "Princess Patter" for the first day always stated, usually in boldface, that "[t]he prescribed evening dress applies throughout the ship after 6:00 PM, except in designated casual areas."

Of course, enforcement was often lacking so there were always some people who would "dress down" after dinner....

Norm.

jq March 15th, 2007 10:19 AM

Norm,
Thanks, I will do that. I am/was? pretty sure it was dining rooms and specialty restaurants only since I was following this on threads before we left and it was our first Princess cruise. Ship wide is what I have seen on our lines, even though even less followed including Celebrity, but thought Princess was different. But then since some of us old guys have no memoryI will look. I rented the tux and I was definitely in the minority on Feb Dawn cruise.

John