Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2007, 06:36 PM
Passenger

Default Whales, Moose & Bears

Itinerary: Juneau, Skagway & Ketchikan.
Where are the best places to see whales, moose & bears?
Would like to take an excursion to see the wilderness side of Alaska.
Also, tour companies that would be recommended. Thank you
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, Panama 12/05
Carnival Valor, Western 1/05
Married on Carnival Destiny, Southern 12/2000
Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas 11/97
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

In Juneau you can book with Capt. Larry and go whale hunting, he's truly an expert and gives a great excursion. Their office is just down the street from the cruise terminal, although I would certainly pre-book that.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:03 PM
Passenger

I'm booked with Capt. Larry - www.orcaenterprises.com Harv & Marv have also been highly recommended - also Alaskan Marine Adventures.
Juneau travel guide available at www.traveljuneau.com

For moose and bears, I'm hoping the Denali shuttle fills the bill - although I've heard from one person who saw her only moose in downtown Anchorage.
Old March 16th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

You want to see Moose... just scroll down

In my three trips to Alaska I haven't seen any of my "cousins"...
though a couple of times we were even able to see bears from the ship.

I had really wanted to do an excursion to watch the bears fishing salmon... but sadly I left it too late and the excursion was sold out!
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Admiral

For a wildife priority, tours are necessary. Whale watching is excellent on the inside passage. Out of Juneau is about 100% for humpbacks. My wonderful preferred long time vender is Orca Enterprises, I've always enjoyed the trips.

I've only seen a moose, once on the inside passage, and that was inside Glacier Bay. Bears are excellent on a tour, fly in from Juneau or Ketchikan. Timing is critical.

I've always seen bears and moose in Denali Park, BUT you have to get INTO the park with my min. recommended distance Fish Creek via shuttle bus. I've had excellent "extra" viewing, in the evening on the public road section of the Park Road- first 16 miles, of moose and bears. So if you have a car, consider this drive a few times.

An item of HIGH priority for anyone interested in wildlife viewing is a good pair of wide angle binoculars- necessary for marine wildlife. At least 10 power is needed in Denali Park.
Old March 20th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Passenger

I've always seen bears and moose in Denali Park, BUT you have to get INTO the park with my min. recommended distance Fish Creek via shuttle bus. I've had excellent "extra" viewing, in the evening on the public road section of the Park Road- first 16 miles, of moose and bears. So if you have a car, consider this drive a few times.

Karen, can you rent a car close to Denali Park? We are on a Princeses cruise tour and will have some extra time there. Would love to cruise up and down the public road of the park. Any other ideas for us?
Old March 20th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Passenger

We have seen more moose outside denali park entrance than we have inside the park. We have seen bear up close on all three trips on shuttle bus. Also wolves on 2 of those trips. This coming Sep will be our first r/t rather than a one way gulf trip with extra week on land. So we will see what we see this time.
Old March 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great Sky Girl

Karen, can you rent a car close to Denali Park? We are on a Princeses cruise tour and will have some extra time there. Would love to cruise up and down the public road of the park. Any other ideas for us?
There is a free shuttle- Savage River, that goes the 16 miles of the Park Road. Sometimes ranger activites there too.

Car rentals- Http:http://www.alaskanChateau.com
Old March 21st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Passenger

THANKS, KAREN! You are so helpful. We will do the shuttle and are looking so forward to it.