Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:25 AM
Passenger

Default Skagway

Need some sage advice on what to do with our day in Skagway. We have booked independently in Juneau whale watching with Harv & Marv. Then in Ketchikan we are in the process of booking the flight with Island Wings. Now what in Skagway? I am looking at the Princess tour - Scenic Railway of the World. Any thoughts? Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Skagway

randga,

Quote:
Need some sage advice on what to do with our day in Skagway. We have booked independently in Juneau whale watching with Harv & Marv. Then in Ketchikan we are in the process of booking the flight with Island Wings. Now what in Skagway? I am looking at the Princess tour - Scenic Railway of the World. Any thoughts? Thank you!
There are two things that I highly recommend in Skagway.

>> 1. The ride to Summit Lake on the White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR) is an absolute "must." Built with pick and shovel in less than a year's time through virtually impassable terrain, passing over awesome tressles and through tunnels chiseled by hand out of solid rock, to haul gold miners, equipment, and supplies into the Yukon Territory during the "Days of '98" (Yukon gold rush), this narrow guage railroad is still a marvel of civil engineering. Its replicas of period coaches bring a flavor of the gold rush days with specacular views of some of the most gorgeous scenery in the world while a narration points out significant sights along the route.

>> 2. If you can get to it, there's a play called the "Days of 98 Revue Starring Soapy Smith" that's actually based upon the town's heritage as the gateway to the Yukon and set in the gold rush era. It's performed a couple times each day at the Eagles' Hall, located a couple blocks beyond the downtown area.

There are several other worthwhile tours in the town, but I recommend these for a first visit.

Norm.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Passenger

Thanks Norm. The Summit Lake / White Pass is not the same as the goldrushrailroad.com thing or is it?
Old March 23rd, 2007, 09:01 AM
Admiral

randga,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Thanks Norm. The Summit Lake / White Pass is not the same as the goldrushrailroad.com thing or is it?
The White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR) is the only railroad in town, but "goldurshrailroad.com" is not its URL. You can click on the name in this post to get to its web site.

BTW, this article in the May 2006 issue of Trains magazine about the WP&YR is vety good -- worth a read. Follow the link, then click on "next page" above the image of the magazine's cover to get to the text

Norm.
Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
Passenger

OK, think I understand now. There must be different tours offered by the same company and Princess has their own link to a page of their web site. Guess I'll book it then. Thanks!
Old March 24th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Definitely the train - I would consider it a don't-miss attraction.
Old March 25th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Admiral

The White Pass Railroad was wonderful.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">