Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 22nd, 2007, 09:25 PM
Passenger

Default Purchasing an Ammolite pendant

Interested in purchasing an Ammolite pendant and would like to know if the cruise ship (Princess) or what towns might carry them.
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, Panama 12/05
Carnival Valor, Western 1/05
Married on Carnival Destiny, Southern 12/2000
Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas 11/97
Sponsored Links
Old March 22nd, 2007, 10:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

We found ammolite jewelry in Juneau, Skagway and Ketchican, as well as on board Princess. You have excellent taste. Ammolite is gorgeous.
Old March 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Cruise Maniac

How about a road trip to Colorado or Alberta:

From Wikipedia:
Quote:
Ammolite is a rare and valuable opal-like organic gemstone found primarily along the eastern slopes of the Rocky Mountains of the United States and Canada. It is made of the fossilized shells of ammonites, which in turn are composed primarily of aragonite, the same mineral that makes up nacreous pearls. It is one of the three biogenic gemstones, the other two being amber and pearl.1 In 1981, ammolite was given official gemstone status by the World Jewellery Confederation, the same year commercial mining of ammolite began. In 2004 it was designated the official gemstone of the Province of Alberta.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Banned
Welcome Newcomer

Default Great ammolite website!

www.canadianammolite.com has a great selection of ammolite and free shipping.
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default ammolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
Interested in purchasing an Ammolite pendant and would like to know if the cruise ship (Princess) or what towns might carry them.
We just returned. Yes, Princess and Holland America lines have this stone in their gift shops but you will pay a premium, Premioum price there. Even more expensive in Juneao and Whitehorse. Wait until Skagway, or the excursion that has the Panning for Gold activity. Of course if you find gold you will want to buy a locket $$ and a Chain$$$! I just bought the locket, the smallest I could get.

North Pole was very fun shopping, good prices and tons of selection! Everywhere you go there's ammolite, gold quarts, and jade. With every town we arrived in the jade prices went lower and lower. Jade became lighter and lighter! If you want high quality, densely deep Jade buy early in your trip. If you are okay with a lighter green but still very beautiful, wait. You can get it in whale-tails, bears, moose, traditional shapes,pendants and earrings

There's nothing in the Mendenhall gift shops but books and videos- there was a little jewelry but it's glass, nothing special.
The shops near Denali were nice.

Holland America has a jewelry spokesperson who will educate guests on how to buy jewelry and steer you toward the stores she has a relationship with. For me, those preferrred stores were still too high so I waited, and I got all the jewelry and gifts I wanted at reasonable prices.
Be patient.

fyi food is very expensive!
Old May 27th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

I purchased an Ammolite Pendant and earrings in St Thomas. If you have not gotten one yet and are planning on going to the Caribbean, please see Adrian at Renaissance Jewelers. He is honest, and reasonable.. I get soooo many comments on my pieces. They are all 4 colors!!