Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
Passenger

Default Do you wear glacier boots with Temsco helicopter tour?

Hi,

I am going to hold off on doing the helicopter tour from Juneau and do it in Skagway. I only see two companies Temsco and M & M.. They both are about the same price but Temsco does 40 min flight and 40 min landing on the glacier.. M&M does two glacier landing..

Has anyone use either one of these tours in Skagway? Also, of the two which one would you choose? I know M&M provides glacier boots, does Temsco? I didn't see that info on their website.

Thanks in advance for your info@

Kim
Sponsored Links
Old April 4th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

M&M is a tour broker, not a vendor. They're selling the Temsco tour. If M&M says you get boots, that's what Temsco is doing. There are 1 or 2 other options for flightseeing in Skagway (contrary to popular belief here!) but they'll run you a few thousand instead of a few hundred, and are generally used for research and private charter jobs.

Book the Temsco tour directly. You'll have a blast!

Oh, and I agree that if you've got other priorities in Juneau it's worth it to see the same ice-field in Skagway.

-Case
Old April 4th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Temsco helo folks were great. We went last summer out of Juneau
to Mendenhall Glacier with them. They run everyone through a short
video of what to do and what is going to happen. They then issue
overboots with ice cleets to everyone. They were very necessary up on the Glacier. They flew in formation (4 other helo's) and landed on top of the Glacier, droping us off and picking up the group before us. A very efficient way to get people on and off, without having to shut down the helo. We had 45 minutes + and were given a tour and a very informative talk about what we were seeing.

I think the best part was that earlier in the day we went on the bus tour to the base of the glacier in the state park. Two great perspectives.. Dress in warm cloths, we were there in Mid July and with a bit of wind in the afternoon blowing across the giant ice cube it gets cold...

Enjoy the flight, its worth the money for something you'll never forget!!! 8)
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Passenger

I'm now in a dilemma... I called Temsco for Skagway but they are all booked for the middle of May.. SOoooooooo..Now it brings me to doing in Junea..

If you arleady done it and could do it again; what tour would you choose? I finish whalewatching at 1.. Ship leaves at 11 I belive.. Should I do Northstar? or just do a glacier landing and stay around for that short time. What I have been reading by most is the 20-25 min is not enough time.. any feed back would be great.. Thank You again!
Old April 4th, 2007, 07:37 PM
Passenger

Okay.... I just found out there is a tour info booth right off the ship in Skagway.. That after the cruise ship releases the seats I possibly could get a helicopter tour that day if I go early enough.. Has anyone ever done this? Walked up to the tour information and booked this type of tour? It really is something I want to do and unsure if I should not do something in Juneau as planned and just do it there.

Thank You!
Old April 5th, 2007, 02:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Is it booked thru the ships tour desk, that is really the best way to be sure your going to have a spot and they have alot more leverage is something happens to delay things. Which line are you going on.?
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstnldy
Okay.... I just found out there is a tour info booth right off the ship in Skagway.. That after the cruise ship releases the seats I possibly could get a helicopter tour that day if I go early enough.. Has anyone ever done this? Walked up to the tour information and booked this type of tour? It really is something I want to do and unsure if I should not do something in Juneau as planned and just do it there.

Thank You!
Since you state this is something you want to do, no this is NOT a good idea. Ports are exploding with tourists, the ship isn't going to have any "left over" space. These flight tours always sell out. Have your reservations in place before you leave.
Old April 6th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Admiral

The time on the glacier for the regular landings is fine. But if you want more, then definately go with Northstar and their longer trek. Most reports of the short trek was it was too short and people regreted not booking the longer one. I have to agree. I glacier trekked elsewhere, with a private guide for 4 hours on the ice. Time flew by.