Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Passenger

Default BEST BINOCULARS

What binocular would one suggest that is in a reasonable price range and not bulky to carry for Alaska?
RCCL Brilliance of the Seas, Panama 12/05
Carnival Valor, Western 1/05
Married on Carnival Destiny, Southern 12/2000
Carnival Fantasy, Bahamas 11/97
Sponsored Links
Old April 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Admiral

It depends what you want them for?? If marine wildlife, wide angle is a must in my opinion. For land wildlife at least 10 power. Try out several at a store, no definate answer for everyone. Go with what you like in your price range.
Old April 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Captain

I would suggest nothing stronger than 10 power. After that you'll need a tripod.

Don't break the bank either. Whatever size you decide upon just go to Target or Walmart and get a decent pair of Bushnell's or Tasco.

I've been more than happy with 7 x 35's. They're smaller and lighter and we could see fine. The image on 7 x 50's or 10 x 50's is brighter but I don't think worth the extra weight and bulk.

Get what you'll be most comfortable with. The best advice I received when I bought a telescope was not to get one that I wouldn't use if it's a pain to get out. That's the same with binocs. If you leave the binocs in the cabin because they're heavy around your neck, then you bought the wrong kind, no matter how good they are.
Old April 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Passenger

I am very happy with my Zen-Ray SUMMIT 10x42 waterproof binoculars I bought after following another forum discussion. It gives a vivid image with true 3-D feeling. It is light weight at 24oz an comes with a very comfortable neckstrap with thick cushion. I think they have a buy-1-get-1-free promotion at http://www.zen-ray.com/store for mother's day. Highly recommend them for the quality and service. hope this helps
Old April 21st, 2007, 08:57 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaCruiser
I am very happy with my Zen-Ray SUMMIT 10x42 waterproof binoculars I bought after following another forum discussion. It gives a vivid image with true 3-D feeling. It is light weight at 24oz an comes with a very comfortable neckstrap with thick cushion. I think they have a buy-1-get-1-free promotion at http://www.zen-ray.com/store for mother's day. Highly recommend them for the quality and service. hope this helps
Thanks for that link! I think I'll put a few pair on the Can Can this year...
Note that the special is buy one Summit, get a compact, metal alloy set free, not another Summit. For the price though, I'm sure glad I don't need 20 or 40 pair! ;-)

-Case
Case, that's a great idea. I wish the touring operator I booked with could offer that. With this ne pair, I think I will roam around the outdeck to look out for wild life. Alaska, here we come!
Old April 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I wonder... does anyone know how good the binoculars are that Orca or Allen Marine use? Most of the smaller boats (mine included) have a bunch of inexpensive compact sets, and one or two really nice ones for the Captain to loan out.

Karen- I'm sure you bring your own binocs, but do you happen to know what the purple boats have for guest use?

-Case
Old April 22nd, 2007, 01:32 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase
I wonder... does anyone know how good the binoculars are that Orca or Allen Marine use? Most of the smaller boats (mine included) have a bunch of inexpensive compact sets, and one or two really nice ones for the Captain to loan out.

Karen- I'm sure you bring your own binocs, but do you happen to know what the purple boats have for guest use?

-Case
I have never been to Alaska whaling watching before. But I did some orca watching out of Victoria, BC last year. The tour company offered a few large 12x50 porro binoculars for us to use, which are really heavy for me since I have small hands. They were not that good either and got fogged up very easily. I don't like the fact that they even tried to charge $5 to check out the binoculars. That's the reason I decided to bring a high quality one myself to really enjoy the trip.
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Passenger

i am looking at different binoculars right now too... 2 questions:

1. what do the numbers actually mean (7X50, 10X42... etc...)?

2. i read somewhere that "wide angle" binoculars are best for wildlife viewing... i understand the concept but am not sure if an old pair of my dad's is wide angle or not... how can i tell as someone that has never really used binoculars and has no means of comparison?
Old April 25th, 2007, 02:58 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by megs
i am looking at different binoculars right now too... 2 questions:

1. what do the numbers actually mean (7X50, 10X42... etc...)?

2. i read somewhere that "wide angle" binoculars are best for wildlife viewing... i understand the concept but am not sure if an old pair of my dad's is wide angle or not... how can i tell as someone that has never really used binoculars and has no means of comparison?
From what I learnt on another forum. Here is what I can answer:

1. the first number is the magnification, 7x means 7 times magnification power; the 2nd number is the diameter of the lens in mm that is away from your eyes. so 10x42 mean 10 times mag power with 42mm lens diameter

2. I am not expert on this. But if you search Zen-Ray SUMMIT in google, there will be a few discussion about binoculars. That's where I learnt and bought mine..

Hope this helps
Old April 25th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Passenger

Case,
Toured with Allen Marine a couple of years ago out of Juneau, the binoculars were ok as I remember, but very heavy. Guess that made you NOT walk off with them!
Barbara
Old April 28th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm quite impressed with the 6 pair of Zen-Ray Summit binocs I just received today. They're even more "compact" than I had expected, and the image quality is fantastic... bright, clear... oh, and I'm reading the street name signs about 1/2 a mile away...

I kinda wish I'd had them yesterday... While on tour we encountered the large pod (super pod) of orcas that frequent this area early in the season. Better than that, they were chasing sea lions, and managed to pull one off the rocks south of Juneau... It's going to be a great summer. Everyone taking a cruise to AK this year is in for a real treat!

-Case
Old April 29th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Passenger

Hello!

I checked the site for the zen-ray binocs. They look good. Going to see if one of the local stores here carry them or similar as time is running out until my AK cruise on May 16th. I cannot wait to visit. Thanks for all the insight from all of you! My first time ever to this part of the country and Canada.

Prue
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prue
Hello!

I checked the site for the zen-ray binocs. They look good. Going to see if one of the local stores here carry them or similar as time is running out until my AK cruise on May 16th. I cannot wait to visit. Thanks for all the insight from all of you! My first time ever to this part of the country and Canada.

Prue
It seems the company markets the products directly on their website. I guess that's why their price is so attractive comparing with similar products from other brands.
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Passenger

oopsie . Oh well. I will see how fast they can deliver them.
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prue
oopsie . Oh well. I will see how fast they can deliver them.
I ordered it on a Saturday and received on Monday. (2 days coast to coast delivery). I think you should be ok for your May 16 cruise.
Old April 29th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

I was really impressed with their service also. Ordered them on a Wednesday, and received them on Friday. We haven't had much opportunity to try them out yet, but my DH's first impressions were that they were great!
Old June 7th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default binoculars

Hi guys,
The binoculars i have is the one my dad brought home from WW2, they are the best, better than the ones today. Wouldn't trade them for anything, and yes, they are going with me to alaska with me in sept.

gottacruz