Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Passenger

Default denali/mckinley flightseeing

just got my princess cruise packet, yaaaay! i have been looking through the optional land tour brochure and am now debating between two flight seeing trips during our stay at Denali... wondering if anyone has taken either trip or can give me any input that might help me make my decision...

tour 1: McKinley Glacier-Landing by Plane
"...scenic flight from the Denali park entrance that lands you squarely in the middle of mt. mckinley..." 2 hour flight time, 20 minutes on the glacier.

tour two: Denali Glacier-Landing by Helicopter
"...view denali national park...landing on the yanert glacier" 1 hour flight time, 20 minutes on the glacier.

both are the same price. (it may be a little silly, but i do have a slight bias towards doing a helicopter tour because my best friend is a helicopter pilot.) it sounds like the flight would be pretty similar scenery in each so i guess the main thing that i would like to know about is what the glacier landing would be like... am i going to see more cool stuff on mt. mckinley or yanert?
Sponsored Links
Old April 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Admiral

I have heliocopter glacier landed elsewhere and ski planed out of Talkeetna. It's a thrilling experince if you haven't done it.

But my clear preference for McKinley flightseeing are the summit flights- over the top. Just spectacular. Can also book independent for possible savings if of interest?
Old April 22nd, 2007, 04:20 PM
Passenger

Default tour 1 or 2?

Considering last year I went on a 3 1/2 hour flight out of Healy and up into the snow capped mountains near Mt McKinley - Ruth Glacier landing (in a small bush plane) and had the time of my life...I side with tour 1 as it allows you the most flight time. I think it is a misconception that you will not see anything from a bush plane. I took sooooooo many pictures during our flight and I look at them today and say to myself "Wow, I cannot believe we got such incredible awesome photos!" If you'd care to view any of the shots we got from our plane flight over Deanli, just contact me.

Have a great time...
Old April 29th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Passenger

I am doing flight seeing from Talkeetna while we are there late May. Doing the Grand Denali Flight. I cannot wait! Woohoo!
Old April 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Beginner

what does the flightseeing cost?
Old April 30th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Admiral

Contact venders directly for exact costs. Talkeetna Aero, Talkeetna Air Taxi, K-2 are some of the vendors.

Be aware of different tour options and routes.

www.toursaver.com offer 2 for 1 coupons, especially useful if using other coupons since there is a $99 cost for the book.