Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 19th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Beginner

Default dress code?

We are going on a cruise on the Sun Princess in May. I have read many things about dressing for the dining rooms. It says jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms. We have several friends that have taken the Sun Princess and they told us many men showed up on "smart casual" nights wearing Levi's or jeans in the dining rooms. One gentleman even showed up on a "formal night" wearing red suspenders. So I am not sure what is expected. And I have a husband who's idea of dressing up is a new pair of Levi's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. JudyP
Sponsored Links
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: dress code?

Judy,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
We are going on a cruise on the Sun Princess in May. I have read many things about dressing for the dining rooms. It says jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms. We have several friends that have taken the Sun Princess and they told us many men showed up on "smart casual" nights wearing Levi's or jeans in the dining rooms. One gentleman even showed up on a "formal night" wearing red suspenders. So I am not sure what is expected. And I have a husband who's idea of dressing up is a new pair of Levi's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
The expectation is that all passengers will comply with the published dress codes, and social etiquette demands as much.

>> On "formal" evenings, the proper attire is "modified black tie" -- either a dinner jacket outfit or a "tuxedo" for gentlemen and a full length dress or a formal cocktail dress, accessorized "to the nines," for ladies.

>> On "smart casual" evenings, gentlemen wear a shirt with a collar and a pair of dress slacks and ladies generally wear either a sun dress or a fancy top with skirt or slacks.

Unfortunately, some renegades probably will demonstrate their utter lack of class by refusing to comply. Nonetheless, you and your party do not have to be among them.

In Alaska, bluejeans are fine for daytime wear, especially if you are doing any wilderness hikes or ziplining or other excursions that might mess up your clothes. I know that some cruise lines allow bluejeans in their dining rooms for breakfast and lunch and others to not, and I'm not sure of Princess's current policy in this regard.

BTW, be sure to bring winter jackets, hats, and gloves. You will want them in the vicinity of glaciers, where the water temperature is 32 degrees (maintained by ice from the calving of the glaciers) and the air above it is only slightly warmer.l

Norm.
Old April 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dining room Rules

Fortunately we are cruiseng with Carnival...They do allow jeans in the dining room on non formal nights..Just no short bathing suits ot tank tops...I couldnt imagine packing 3 wardrobes and dragging them on a cruise..

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old April 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

>>...published dress codes, and social etiquette demands as much.<<

While your cruise company may not agree, "social etiquette" in Alaska means you do whatever you please, as you may see on land.

Murray
Old April 20th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm eBaying several new Tommy Bahama shirts this week for an upcoming "formal" affair here in Juneau... I agree that "social ettiquette" in Alaska DEMANDS you do what you think is right and is most comfortable.

Take all of that and consider whether you would be comfortable being the "guy in red suspenders" or one of the folks in jeans. Some cruises, those renegades will blend right in, and some they'll stick out like sore redneck thumbs.

Oh, and I've got to put in a bit of a factual rebuttal to the above quoted temperatures.... I was just in the water in Tracy Arm diving icebergs yesterday. The water temps right next to the ice were 40-43 degrees F, and the air temperature was a balmy 50 degrees.... dropped to 45 in the shade at the face of the glacier, but still a far cry from freezing. When viewed from the base, most of Mt. Juneau is actually brown turning green now. You'd hardly know we set a snowfall record this winter!

-Case
Old April 22nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Beginner

Thank you all very much for your help. I appreciate it very much. We will see when we get there. You won't be seeing my husband in "red suspenders". And I know you won't be seeing him in a tux either. hahahahaha
Old April 22nd, 2007, 09:41 PM
Admiral

Murray,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
>>...published dress codes, and social etiquette demands as much.<<

While your cruise company may not agree, "social etiquette" in Alaska means you do whatever you please, as you may see on land.
"Aboard the ship" is NOT the same as "in Alaska."

Norm.
Old April 23rd, 2007, 01:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Norm.
As you know, Alaska cruises are much less stuffy than others, Norm. Or at least the ones you aren't on are less stuffy.

Murray
Old April 23rd, 2007, 11:20 PM
Admiral

Murray,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
As you know, Alaska cruises are much less stuffy than others, Norm. Or at least the ones you aren't on are less stuffy.
Less stuffy than what?

I can't say that I have ever been on a cruise that has been stuffy.

I can, however, say that I have been on a few cruises on which a few passengers were less than polite....

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:43 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Dining room Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyW
Fortunately we are cruiseng with Carnival...They do allow jeans in the dining room on non formal nights..Just no short bathing suits ot tank tops...I couldnt imagine packing 3 wardrobes and dragging them on a cruise..
Tell me about it ! I'm on Carnival as well next month, but I'm still going to dress up in coat & tie even if I stick out in a crowd of rustic bluejeans. I even purchased some new dressy cloths.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old April 24th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: dress code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyp342
We are going on a cruise on the Sun Princess in May. I have read many things about dressing for the dining rooms. It says jeans are not allowed in the dining rooms. We have several friends that have taken the Sun Princess and they told us many men showed up on "smart casual" nights wearing Levi's or jeans in the dining rooms. One gentleman even showed up on a "formal night" wearing red suspenders. So I am not sure what is expected. And I have a husband who's idea of dressing up is a new pair of Levi's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. JudyP
Oregon is lovely! We went there last summer and this photo of me should look familiar

/ticker.png">
Old April 24th, 2007, 04:31 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev22:17
Murray,

Norm.
Actually, for the majority of your cruise, you ARE well within the legal boundaries of Alaska... ergo: "aboard the ship" IS "in Alaska".

The recent passing of Proposition #2 actually attempts to make "aboard the ship" even more "in Alaska" and get rid of the notion that being aboard the ship is like being in your own private country. Even though the corporate owners of the ships like to think they can do what they want, you know the saying... "When in Rome".... err... maybe that's "When in Alaska..."

-Case
Old April 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

In my admittedly limited experience, Alaska does tend to be less "formal" than our Caribbean cruises have been -- and that's on NCL, which is less formal anyway. IIf you're taking the sweatshirts, jackets, etc. necessary to layer your clothing in Alaska, it just doesn't leave much room for "formal attire".

Our cruise which sailed out of Miami definitely had more formal night participation than either the Alaska or Houston cruises, but Alaska definitely was less formal than the Houston cruises.