Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Passenger

Default A dumb Question?

We live in Louisiana and are on central time. I know that Anchorage is 3 hours behind our time and Vancouver is 2 hours behind. My question: Will the time change along the route or is all of Alaska 3 hours behind us?
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:51 AM
Captain

You will have to change time zones on the ship. You'll be advised when it's necessary.
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Cruise Maniac

In the "old days" we used to have 4 (or was it 5?) time zones, just in the state of Alaska. It made doing business with anyone in the rest of the country almost impossible.

Now-a-days, though, all of Alaska is in one time-zone... actually, it's called "Alaska Time" and it's an hour behind Pacific time (Vancouver), and 4 hours behind Eastern Time (and 3 hours behind Central Time.)

Hope this helps!

-Case
Old May 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Passenger

thanks
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Admiral

If leaving from Seattle/Vancouver, the time changes the second night. Then changes back if returning.
Old May 10th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I'm self-censoring now. My "squabbles" with folks don't need to be aired here. Sorry to all.
-Case
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:26 AM
Passenger

I'm going on a southbound cruise so the time should stay the same until right before Vancouver?
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16
If leaving from Seattle/Vancouver, the time changes the second night. Then changes back if returning.
On which itinerary? What ship? On MY most recent cruises the time change is always the first day. Are you speaking for Cruise West, American Safari (or whatever they're called now), and the smaller cruise lines as well?

-Case
HUH??? The time is NOT changed the SAME day as you sail out of Vancouver or Seattle. It changes the NEXT night. Posted right in the ship newletter left in your room. These are the "regular cruise lines". I've sailed, RCI, Carnival, HAL, Princess, NCL- ALL to Alaska.
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by therese_duval
I'm going on a southbound cruise so the time should stay the same until right before Vancouver?
No. It will be changed the night before, so your last FULL sailing day back to Vancouver is on Pacific time. In no way does the cruiseline want to deal with people on the wrong time on disembarkment day forgeting to set their clocks ahead.

Last year, the time actually changed 2 nights ahead, on the NCL Wind. Odd itinerary with an extra sea day before Vancouver.
Old May 11th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

I'm self-censoring now. My "squabbles" with folks don't need to be aired here. Sorry to all.
-Case
Old May 11th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanCanCase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16
HUH??? The time is NOT changed the SAME day as you sail out of Vancouver or Seattle. It changes the NEXT night. Posted right in the ship newletter left in your room. These are the "regular cruise lines". I've sailed, RCI, Carnival, HAL, Princess, NCL- ALL to Alaska.
Okay, you've sailed the "regular" cruises. That explains a lot actually. I just wanted to be sure since I've been on at least 6 or 7 cruise LINES that you have not. Can't let folks think there's only one answer to the question. It really depends on the cruise and itinerary, doesn't it?

So, for a definitive answer for anyone interested, If you're on one of the 5 cruise lines that Karen has sailed, read the newsletter and plan on a time change the second night (or reverse if southbound.) If you're cruising with one of the dozen or so other companies that visit Alaska each year, don't hesitate to ask if you're worried, but most should make a big deal and will inform you of the time change before or when it occurs.

Officially, the time change is when you enter Alaskan waters south of Ketchikan (again, or reverse if southbound). Some cruises will "pad" the time change a day or two ahead of schedule if there aren't any port calls to be affected.

Happy Alaska Travels!

-Case
Who on this board is sailing anything but the majors??? At most less than 5 posters. AND you are saying that from Vancouver/Seattle. THOSE special cruiselines ALL change their clocks immediately to Alaska time??? Would be best to contact them directly and verify that.

My information is correct for the major lines, and since the Alaska cruise season is only 2 weeks old- WHEN and with whom were your most "recent" cruises that you claim the time was changed the "first" day? (which means the night of embarkment, since it would change during the night). Maybe if YOU are specific that would clear things up.
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

-Case
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Passenger

Geesh! Is this a war of words and ideas? I'm sorry I asked my dumb question. Maybe I need to go to another site?
Old May 11th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by therese_duval
Geesh! Is this a war of words and ideas? I'm sorry I asked my dumb question. Maybe I need to go to another site?
therese_duval-

I owe you an apology. Sorry to have let my "bickering" with Karen put you off.

If you hang around a bit, I think you'll find CruiseMates to be a nearly inexhaustible source of information, and a valuable planning tool for your travels. If you do choose to dig around in other forums, you'll certainly see that some are even worse than this one, and a few are friendlier, but also less active and informative.

As for your original post, I don't think it's a "dumb question" at all. The only "dumb" questions are the ones that don't get asked. I hope you've now got the information you were looking for, and again, I'm sorry you had to weed through so much junk to find it!

-Case