CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Ketchikan Misty Fjords Float Plane (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/333389-ketchikan-misty-fjords-float-plane.html)

mussmannra May 17th, 2007 11:50 AM

Ketchikan Misty Fjords Float Plane

Please advise...Is the Float Plane Excursion to the Misty Fjord's in Ketchikan: A big waste of money or an Alaska "must see"?

Bandrews May 17th, 2007 01:38 PM

Certainly not a waste of money!
Misty Fjords, IMO, is one of the most beautiful places on earth. If the budget will allow, the cruise and fly tour is even more exciting. Lots of sea life, cascading water falls---just amazing, beautiful scenery.

Callieann May 17th, 2007 05:35 PM

It's one of the things I'm looking forward to the most! I've never heard a negative word about it, but sure have heard lots of postive comments!

Janice Marie May 17th, 2007 06:03 PM

We booked the Misty Fjords float plane/cruise last year. Weather wasn't cooperating so the flight portion of the tour was cancelled. The cruise of the fjord was on a large, enclosed catamaran. Scenery was breathtaking...a must-see. Since we booked the excursion through Princess, we were charged half the price of the tour since one portion was cancelled.

Karen16 May 21st, 2007 02:45 PM

This is a top flightseeing area. :) Highly recommended by me.

AlaskaCruiser May 23rd, 2007 02:08 PM

are they safe? I am afraid of flying, especially during taking off and landing. But it does sound fun to visit places that are otherwise unaccessible.

alefbeyt June 13th, 2007 08:35 PM

Oh Yeah! Last year we flew with Dave of Family Air. (I promise you, I have no connection to the business.) He was GREAT! We took off, completely under Air Traffic Control, (note: a water takeoff and landing is a bit rough...nothing bad, just the waves); We flew up and into the Fjord. As we flew he pointed out lots of neat stuff. The view was incredible! We landed on a small lake, got out and looked around for about 20 minutes. (Wear water-resistant shoes...not boots, just hiking type shoes). The solitude and serenity were awe-inspiring. Getting back in the plane, we took off again and continued our tour of the fjord. We saw a volcano spire(?) jutting out of a lake, we saw waterfalls, and forests. In summary, it was one of the really coolest things we did on this Alaska trip!
The one drawback for us was that my 13 year old daughter had been looking through her camera early on during the flight and got air-sick. :oops: It wasn't pretty. She used 3 of pilot Dave's bags, and vows she will never go again. We learned that she needs preventive medication and NEVER look through an eyepiece while flying!
This year we are doing the helicopter tour in Juneau and a small boat tour in Sitka. She will be well medicated beforehand.
Do this air tour. You won't regret it.

Callieann June 13th, 2007 10:21 PM

Not sure whose tour you're looking at - but we're going with Island Wings after hearing soooo many good things about them. Southeast Avaiation is also highly recommended.