CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Mendenhall Glacier (Juneau) - on your own or w/an excursion? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/333728-mendenhall-glacier-juneau-your-own-w-excursion.html)

familytrip May 24th, 2007 09:10 PM

Mendenhall Glacier (Juneau) - on your own or w/an excursion?

Are the shore excursions better than just getting to the Glacier on your own? Wanted to spend an hour or two hiking around - wasn't sure if that was something that you could do on a cruise excursion to Mendenhall.... And how are the salmon bakes? Or are we better off heading to one of the local restaurants for some fresh fish for lunch? :?:

Karen16 May 25th, 2007 07:58 AM

If you want to hike, you definately want to go independent, NONE of the tours have more than an hour at Mendenhall and usually less time. Just take the shuttle bus $12 round trip pp. The Gold Creek Salmon bake is good, and they run a continous loop bus from the dock area.

But I give an edge for my preferences to the Thane Ore House for salmon, reservations are needed and they shuttle you back and forth. Right at the dock near the tram is Twisted Fish, another good choice.

CanCanCase May 26th, 2007 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen16
...Just take the shuttle bus $12 round trip pp...

Which shuttle is still running $12 r/t pp? The blue MGT buses were charging $8 each way today... or are those just the rates for us locals? Maybe they give a discount for long time repeat customers?

-Case

dbdjeb May 31st, 2007 11:59 AM

Non-excursion Hiking - Mendenhall

I have similar questions to 'family trip'. Is there a website I can get more information about the shuttle? Where can one catch it? Does it run on a schedule? How far from the trailhead does it leave you off?

Thanks.

Karen16 June 1st, 2007 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanCanCase
Quote:

...Just take the shuttle bus $12 round trip pp...

Which shuttle is still running $12 r/t pp? The blue MGT buses were charging $8 each way today... or are those just the rates for us locals? Maybe they give a discount for long time repeat customers?

-Case

Then they have JUST gone up, I was there May 15, 2007.

Karen16 June 1st, 2007 09:23 PM

Re: Non-excursion Hiking - Mendenhall

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbdjeb
I have similar questions to 'family trip'. Is there a website I can get more information about the shuttle? Where can one catch it? Does it run on a schedule? How far from the trailhead does it leave you off?

Thanks.

There really isn't much more "information". At the dock, there are booths set up and you just purchase a shuttle ticket. They run continously- take about 20 mins. and leave at least every hour. It drops off at the Visitor Center, pick up is in a lot, very close by- all the way to the right on the map. http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis...nhall/map.html http://www.mightygreattrips.com/se_a...excursions.htm (still noted to be $12 round trip, price has gone up to $16 per above)

This company also gives excellent tours at about 1/2 the cruise ship costs.

CanCanCase June 2nd, 2007 12:16 AM

Quote:

Apparently they give "comps" and discounts to repeat customers. I just spoke to 3 parties who all paid different prices. One family at $6 pp each way had been here 4 times already and had their past ticket stubs. The $7 fares were here last year about the same time, and the $8 pp family had never been before.

I guess it "pays" to be a long-time repeat customer with some vendors!

-Case

Karen16 June 2nd, 2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Apparently they give "comps" and discounts to repeat customers. I just spoke to 3 parties who all paid different prices. One family at $6 pp each way had been here 4 times already and had their past ticket stubs. The $7 fares were here last year about the same time, and the $8 pp family had never been before.

I guess it "pays" to be a long-time repeat customer with some vendors!

-Case

Again, I was there- May 15. ALL booths had $6 signs up near the tram. Same for up by the library. I walked by this entire section 4 times. WHAT you are talking about "repeat" pasengers??? Why not go directly to MGT and ask them??? Instead of making references "pays" - long time repeat customer etc??? If this reference is to me???- I have no clue what your point is?? AND how likely is it that "One family" saved their 4 ticket stubs from from prior trips and brought them with them, for a $6-8 shuttle trip??? You've lost it, making a big issue over $2.

CanCanCase June 2nd, 2007 05:50 PM

Quote:

Again, I was there- May 15. ALL booths had $6 signs up near the tram. Same for up by the library. I walked by this entire section 4 times. WHAT you are talking about "repeat" pasengers??? Why not go directly to MGT and ask them??? Instead of making references "pays" - long time repeat customer etc??? If this reference is to me???- I have no clue what your point is?? AND how likely is it that "One family" saved their 4 ticket stubs from from prior trips and brought them with them, for a $6-8 shuttle trip??? You've lost it, making a big issue over $2.

Ah-HA! We agree! Going directly to MGT and asking them (in lieu of paying attention to your advice or mine) is the best solution.

How likely is it for a family to save ticket stubs? Very. These are major vacations for many folks. Karen has obviously never been on one of the HAL cruises offering Nancy and Jeff's scrap-booking seminars. Have you been on any of the privately chartered Merril Lynch Vision of the Seas cruises? Geek Cruises? Women of Olivia cruises? Those groups are all VERY likely to save every stub and receipt... some even make it a competition.

As for your "personal attack" stating that I've "lost it"... I've lost many things in my life... everything from a Han Solo action figure to most of my hair... What I have NOT lost is my direct and immediate access to local information about Juneau... don't forget: I LIVE HERE!

To everyone else reading: sorry for the digression. I'm happy to keep things informative and on-topic as long as people will quit eMailing my friends, family and clients in an attempt to discredit and embarrass me. (It's not working, BTW.)

Happy Alaska Travels! ;-)

-Case

Karen16 June 3rd, 2007 07:38 AM

Quote:

[
To everyone else reading: sorry for the digression. I'm happy to keep things informative and on-topic as long as people will quit eMailing my friends, family and clients in an attempt to discredit and embarrass me. (It's not working, BTW.)

Happy Alaska Travels! ;-)

-Case

AND LET me make this perfectly clear. It is NOT me emailing anyone. You seem to always have to put some little snip in your posts boosting YOUR claims.

Laury June 8th, 2007 08:53 PM

From what I've read, the only way that you're able to step on the Mendenhall Glacier is by helicopter. You can hike around the Visitor Center on mapped trails, which provides great views. To my knowledge, you can look, but ya can't touch.

CanCanCase June 9th, 2007 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laury
From what I've read, the only way that you're able to step on the Mendenhall Glacier is by helicopter. You can hike around the Visitor Center on mapped trails, which provides great views. To my knowledge, you can look, but ya can't touch.

There is a trail on the West side that leads to an "on ice" path. There are guided treks (NorthStar Trekking and Above & Beyond AK) that take this hike and guide you on the ice as well.

Both of these excursions are great, but not for anyone with a short port time.

-Case

Laury June 14th, 2007 12:09 PM

Quote:

There is a trail on the West side that leads to an "on ice" path. There are guided treks (NorthStar Trekking and Above & Beyond AK) that take this hike and guide you on the ice as well.
Good to know. Is this West side ice path the trail that takes about 5 hours? If my dog sledding gets cancelled, this might be the thing to do. Well, this or I'll see you on your Alaskan Marine Adventures. :) Thanks for the info. [/quote]

jq June 15th, 2007 11:56 PM

So there are walks or easy hikes to take at Mendenhall on your own? We were only there once and it was raining so all we did was take a few photos and walk out to the point near the visitor center. Is there more to walk to without being in serious hiking gear?

Karen16 June 16th, 2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jq
So there are walks or easy hikes to take at Mendenhall on your own? We were only there once and it was raining so all we did was take a few photos and walk out to the point near the visitor center. Is there more to walk to without being in serious hiking gear?

Yes- http://www.fs.fed.us/r10/tongass/dis...ll/trails.html

Also you can walk along the edge of the lake up to the water falls. Be prepared, you can get your feet wet, and you will probably be stepping over rocks, etc. but an overall easy walk, and close up views.

jq June 16th, 2007 06:42 PM

Thanks Karen, its amazing what you can find when you ask. Now if it isn't raining.