Since I lurked on this board for several weeks to gleem information I thought I would post some of my experiences to return the favor. My family cruised the Inside Passage from May 26 - June 2. Let me just say that the Alaska experince exceeded my expectations. So in brief:
- layers! Jeans, t-shirt, light long sleeve sweater and then a jacket, hat and gloves - no kidding. Leave your cute clothes at home - we all have them but this is not the trip for fashion. Formal nights are not so formal. I wore a short black cocktail dress and hubby in a coat and tie and we were among the better dressed.
* Motion sickness
- if you are prone to it take the pills when you get up the first day cause the captain has the petal to the metal to get up to Juneau the following morning. After that it is smooth sailing rest of the cruise.
- all over the place! We had a fantastic time whale watching in Juneau (see below), but even back on the ship we saw them several days and nights. You will learn how to spot them.
*Food on board
- lackluster. We are foodies and this is just our opinion but this was nothing but hotel food. Even the steak house was a disappointment. But we didn't cruise for the food. It just got pretty old after so many days.
- Took the whale watching cruise with Harv & Marv - got more than what we paid for. We saw over 20 whales (humpbacks and Orcas - no kiddding.)
- We did the White Pass Scenic Railway - nice but not that great. One hour late and unorganized at the pier. Think next time we will take a private van tour up the mountains instead.
* Tracy Arm
- you will not believe the beauty of this place. It rained some but never took away from the experience.
- Great town. Took Island Wings with Michelle and had a fantastic flight. It's a must do if you are going to go this far.
- we walked into town (15 min) and had a wonderful meal at a resturant named "R" just a couple blocks up from the hotel. Walked around then took a $8 cab back to the pier.
- forgot to mention that we spent the night before the cruise at the Westin and took in a lot of downtown. It was great fun!
So, that's it in a nutshell. If you are planning on an Alaska cruise - lucky you. If not then it's time you did. We have traveled many places around the world and this was a very wonderful surprise right here in our backyard so to speak.