Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 5th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Passenger

Default Alaska in May

What do you think about a cruise to Alaska the first part of May? Inside passage - Juneau, Ketchikan, etc. I've gone in July and it was cold and rainy.... so how does the weather in May compare? I know it will be colder, but would it be a lot colder. I don't mind cold weather but wouldn't want it to be so freezing that you have to wear gloves, scarves, etc all the time.

There are great prices on cruises to Alaska in May, I just wonder if it's worth the savings?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

On average, early May is too early at any price, IMO. I live just north of Skagway, and the earliest I'll cruise is May 20th (I've now done 3 in late May and early June). Late May and early June aren't the warmest period, but they are the driest (again, on average), and prices are just as good as early May.

Murray
Old June 6th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Passenger

We just returned from our inside passage tour - Dates were 5/21-5/28. Never been there before but I gotta say, we could not have asked for better weather. It rained only slightly while at sea on the last day before reaching Whittier, our disembarkation site. The temperatures also cooperated. Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway were all between 58-68 every day. We even went on the Iceland Helicopter to Herbert Glacier, and I only briefly needed a knit cap up there--and I'm BALD!!!
From all I've heard, Mid May through mid June is the ideal time to do the inside passage tour weatherwise. July, August is supposed to rain more. And in May we had zero flies and mosquitos to deal with. When we go back, it will again be mid-May to mid-June.
Old June 6th, 2007, 07:42 PM
Passenger

It won't be so freezing
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:14 AM
Admiral

I too, won't go before mid May. Then everything is full open as well.
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Familiar Face

Returned from an inland passage cruise from May 16-23 Didn't need my hat or gloves the entire time. Weather was mid 40's to high 50's and sunny every day. I also took a cruise in July and it was cold and rainy so I guess you can't tell. The cruise director on the ship told us the rainy months tend to be July and August (although slightly warmer) but I counldn't have asked for better weather the week I went.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeatlast
Returned from an inland passage cruise from May 16-23 Didn't need my hat or gloves the entire time. Weather was mid 40's to high 50's and sunny every day. I also took a cruise in July and it was cold and rainy so I guess you can't tell. The cruise director on the ship told us the rainy months tend to be July and August (although slightly warmer) but I counldn't have asked for better weather the week I went.
I would also say you weren't out extensively when doing your glacier sailing??? Or you are very warm blooded?? This is the only time you need hat and gloves. And I always use them every trip during the glacier sailing day.
Old June 7th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Familiar Face

Believe it or not there was no wind and the sun was really warm. Most of us were on the top desk of the ship and only had jackets on.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 8th, 2007, 09:56 PM
Passenger

We did the last weekl of May to 1st part of june last year the weather was spectacular, only one day out of our 10 days we were in alaska did it rain and it was not all day. I am from Florida and I am always cold however if you dress in layers with a gortex type jacket that you can zip out the liner it is perfect we were not in hats and gloves the weather was in the 50-79 range and we did not wear jackets everyday. no insects either. But you do miss the bears in the streams however we saw grizzely mom and cubs in Denali. I had read a post from a bus driver in denali that late may to june was a good time to view animals because they are still down low and have or our completely birthing so a lot of activity.