Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Beginner

Default NCL Pearl vs Island/Sapphire Princess!

Ive been researching an Alaska Cruise for next June. This board has provided me with invaluable information and I thank you all. Right now, we are kind of torn. We have narrowed down our ship choices to NCL Pearl and Princess Island or Sapphire for their anytime dining and Glacier Bay.

Could anyone give me their views on the different ships. My husband is leaning towards the Pearl and Im leaning towards Princess. Any opinions on anything are appreciated !

Thank you all in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old June 11th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Admiral

Significant is these are two different itineraries ad routes. One is round trip and the other one way. You are equal on doing either??

If you are at all interesting in the one way, then definately that is superor will adding at least another week. My opinion only, I never consider any one way without it. Take advanage of being there.

The Pearl is a good choice for someone short on time, but the routing is lacking in that there are essentially 2 open ocean "sea" days, rather than inside passage scenic sailing. I am just off the Pearl mid May, and have done Princess one ways.

Choose first if you want to include the Achorage flight, add another week, then decide.
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Beginner

Thanks for you input Karen. We dont have the time to add on days(although I would love to do that) but flying out of Anchorage isnt an issue for me. They both go to the same ports and hit Glacier Bay. I just happen to like the port times better for on Princess than NCL and my husband feels NCL will give him a better ship experience.

This is all so confusing !
Old June 12th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

The Sapphire or Daimond Princess would be my pick (we have cruised this route Vancouver to Whittier/Anchorage) We like the beautiful Inside Passage with only one sea day. you will arrive in Whittier/Anchorage early morning and if your flight from Anchorage is late afternoon or early evening you will have most of the day to explore Anchorage. You can elect to store your luggage at the Eagan Convention Center (included
if you have purchased the Princess Transfers) and buses leave every 30 min. to Anchorage Airport (also included in the transfer)

We had a wonderful day in Anchorage for our plane did not leave until
7:00 P.M. Just be sure to check the bus schedule for the last bus to airport. Last year the last bus was 6:30 P.M I've heard that the Convention Center and bus schedule might be closing earlier.

Have a great time. Alaska is just a magical place. The scenery is just breath taking !