CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Recommendations for local excursions vendors (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/334811-recommendations-local-excursions-vendors.html)

heelfan June 15th, 2007 11:19 AM

Recommendations for local excursions vendors

Hi All,

Could anyone give me the names of vendors that do the helicopter glacier landing in Juneau , the Back country Jeep and Canoe Safari out of Ketichikan, and recommend any local vendors for excursions out of the Denali Princess Lodge? The things available through Princess are all after lunch and in the evening. Does anyone know why? We were wanting to do something in the morning like river rafting or glacier landing? It seems like doing private excursions may be the way to go from what I'm reading.

Thanks

Karen16 June 16th, 2007 11:58 AM

Out of Juneau, there is Coastal and TEMSCO. ERA, may not direct book ship passengers due to ship contracts.

In Denali, there are some raft companies, right across the street from the Princess. But, determine WHAT you want. The range, depending where they put in goes from a float to white water tours. Here are listings- http://www.denalichamber.com/

Talkeetna Aero offers flightseeing out of Denali park. Fantastic vendor, I have used several times. Summit flights are my favorite. :)

The Ketchikan tour, may be ship contracted, but do a search-
www.visit-ketchikan.com

glendag August 23rd, 2007 05:32 PM

I too an interested in all the same things so I will be watching eagerly for suggestions. I do want the Glacier Landing/Dog Sled and am wondering if Janeau or somewhere else better....i.e. Skagway, Ketchikan ?? W Coarse then there is the issue of Glacier Bay vs Hubbard and the Skayway vs Sitka. One line stays longer in Janeau and Skayway but no Kitka. ; other shorter in Janueau and Katcikan. Man, I've been reading so much, I've had a hard time remembering all of everyone's great info! You are all amazing. I want to fish too.....so any input would be appreciated.

P.S. Guess I'll get me a notepad with sheets regarding each subject...LOL (can anyone tell I'll be a 'first timer" LOL :oops:

Karen16 August 26th, 2007 04:57 PM

Be prepared with back up plans with any glacier dog sledding, out of Juneau it is the most canceled of all Alaska tours, Skagway only sightly behind. :) It is also available out of Seward. Go where it fits your timeframe best.

You will do best with a list and making your priorities. Fishing is excellent out of Ketchikan, but is available most of the Inside Passage.

kittysquest September 19th, 2007 03:44 PM

dog sledding and excursions

We were some of the lucky people that had the great weather in Juneau last week and flew with Temsco up to Mendenhall glacier to do some dog sleding. Talk about the experience of a lifetime! It was the absolute best! but we did have a back up just in case the weather was bad, which from what we were told is quite often. We did not do any whale watching but the people we knew that did came back with pictures that could rival the discovery channel. Not only that a great deal of whale watching tours in Juneau offer a refund if you dont see any whales. Great deal with you ask me.

Another great excursion we took was the Safari Wilderness tour in Skagway. Everything from hiking to canoing up to a glacier to picking wild strawberries to skipping stones in the water on the beach. Another great experience! But everyone is right, ALWAYS have a back up. Mother nature is a temperamental woman.

Ketchekan it rains 95% of the time so we took a horse drawn trolly ride and were very pleased with it. Even got to see some seals in the harbor and lots of salmon in the ladders.

Hope this helps a bit and Good Luck!

CanCanCase November 2nd, 2007 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karen16
Out of Juneau, there is Coastal and TEMSCO. ERA, may not direct book ship passengers due to ship contracts....

It won't hurt to call ERA anyway. They've got some routes and landing sites that the other companies don't usually offer. I'm a longtime repeat ERA customer, but when it comes to flying, I'll fly with whatever company has the best price for the most air-time and that best fits my touring schedule.

-Case

NonaMary January 17th, 2008 09:58 PM

Hi,
Anyone do Kayaking from Sitka, Ketchikan, or Juneau? (June 2008)
We are looking for /2 day guided kayak, have searched the boards and either missed a posting or there isn't any listed. Have searched the internet, sent two emails, one bounced back the other only does the Valdez area. Southeast tours seems to be OK for one of the ports we will stop at. Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Safe travels,
Nona Mary

CanCanCase January 17th, 2008 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NonaMary
Hi,
Anyone do Kayaking from Sitka, Ketchikan, or Juneau? (June 2008)
We are looking for /2 day guided kayak, have searched the boards and either missed a posting or there isn't any listed. Have searched the internet, sent two emails, one bounced back the other only does the Valdez area. Southeast tours seems to be OK for one of the ports we will stop at. Any recommendations?
Thanks.
Safe travels,
Nona Mary

Try Alaska Discovery or Alaska Boat & Kayak in Juneau.

-Case

NonaMary January 18th, 2008 06:52 PM

Case,
Thank you much for the leads. Will check them out.
Safe travels,
Nona