Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Beginner

Default Shore Excursions in Skagway?

Our group is young and I've read a fair amount of reviews on the White Pass Rail and it seems ok but a little boring. Are there any "can't miss" adventures in Skagway that don't break the bank? Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Old June 18th, 2007, 07:20 PM
First Mate

just returned and yes the train is a beautiful ride.
Old June 18th, 2007, 10:30 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Shore Excursions in Skagway?

WesC,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Our group is young and I've read a fair amount of reviews on the White Pass Rail and it seems ok but a little boring. Are there any "can't miss" adventures in Skagway that don't break the bank? Thanks!!!
Sorry if the description from your cruise line is a bit flat, but the White Pass & Yukon Route is far from boring. This rail line passes through some of the most impassable terrain that you could imagine. Constructed with "pick and shovel" in a matter of months during the Yukon Gold Rush, it's still regarded as a marvel of civil engineering. The scenery is absolutely gorgeous, and Summit Lake (where the train reverses) is quite picturesque. If there is a "can't miss" excursion anywhere in the world, this is it!

Norm.
Old June 18th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

If you're really energetic, hike from downtown up to Upper Dewey Lake or even beyond to The Devil's Punchbowl. It won't cost you a nickel (even the trail map is free at the NPS), and gets you into incredible scenery. More info at http://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/longerhikes.htm

Murray
Old June 23rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Passenger

My teen boys, hubby and I did the Chilkoot Trail Hike and Float excursion out of Skagway, and we really enjoyed it! We were picked up at the dock by this cool guy named Pat and he drove us about 20 minutes to the trail head. It was half a mile up into the rainforest, half a mile down and half a mile flat to the float boat. It was drizzling slightly which just added to the atmosphere and did not impede on our footing whatsoever. The likelyhood that we may see bear added to the excitement (but we only saw bear scat). At the end of our hike, we put on rubber boots and waded a step or two into a little rubber boat, sat on the edges and floated down a mild (VERY mild) river for about 20 minutes with Pat and our "Captain" Lee. We were offered a snack of smoked local salmon, sharp cheddar and crackers and juice. We climbed back into our van and were treated to an amusing narrated discription of Skagway on our way back to the dock. You could do this tour plus something else if you schedule properly. Wear layers, bring waterproof/windbreaker with hood in case it rains, the river trip got a little chilly. Fun! scale of 1 - 10, I give and 8. Hike is not too strenuous but there is some stepping up over rocks and tree roots. One older woman in our group opted out and she and her husband were driven up to where we got on the boat.
Old June 24th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your help! I think the group will split up as we can't make up our mind.
Old June 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
First Mate

A great meeting place is the RED DOOR SALOON. Beer and great nachos. Fun and lively place. Time goes fast there so don't miss the ship.
Old June 25th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiffymom
A great meeting place is the RED DOOR SALOON. Beer and great nachos. Fun and lively place. Time goes fast there so don't miss the ship.
That's the Red Onion Saloon - yes it is a fun place.
Old July 5th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Admiral

Jiffymom and Yukon : Is that as good as the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau ???
Adventure Of The Seas-05
Navigator Of The Seas-04
Carnival Paradise-04
Carnival Pride-03
Sea Princess-02
Soverign Of The Seas-02
Carnival Imagination-01
Carnival Destiny-00
Carnival Fascination-97
Big Red Boat-93
Nordic Prince-82
Old July 7th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Hi Rima,

This description of your tour in skagway is great. What tour company did you use? I am sailing with my husband and 3 children ages 16, 13, and 9 in August. I have been looking into shoretrips.com. Have you heard of them? The Princess tour is already sold out for the time I wanted to do the trip. Did you see any animals? Any suggestions in any ports are very welcome!

Have a great day!