Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 6th, 2007, 01:27 AM
Beginner

Default Whale-watching - Juneau vs. Icy Point Strait?

RCI Radiance north, 8/24/07 (7 weeks and 1 day, but who's counting) - I had planned to take whale-watching excursion in Juneau, as so many people recommend it - but I have read some posts about whale-watching from Icy Point Strait, that it is a prime location for whales. The advantage would be that there are fewer alternatives in IPS, and many in Juneau, in fact I'm having a hard time choosing in Juneau!
Opinions?

And re: Icy Point Strati - anyone done the Culinary Extravaganza? Sounds awfully tempting....
Sponsored Links
Old July 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Passenger

We have done both and they were great. We saw more whales in ISP last time than in Juneau. But I would recomm both if possible if really interested. If no time, you should be fine by doing that. Last time, our whalewatch was 3.5hrs plus time to get off ship and wait an hour for tour. Then we had to be back on board by tender 1hr before sailing in ISP so we saw nothing else except the dock and cannery area.

So what else are you doing in Juneau. We will be leaving in just over a week for back to back cruises on Volendam and we will whalewatch in both Juneau and ISP. Are you doing glacier hele landing? You can book that with whalewatching thru Orca and Coastal helecoptors and save about 1 hrs time if that is an issue.
Old July 11th, 2007, 01:13 AM
Passenger

This may seem like a strange question, but how wet might one get on these whale watching trips? Are there some tours that use smaller boats and others that use larger boats, reducing the chance of getting doused? I'm mostly concerned about getting my cameras wet and having them break down. I have housings that I use when I'm scuba diving, but I'd rather not bring them if I can avoid it.

Alaska Cruise on the Celebrity Infinity 09.02.2007
Old July 11th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Passenger

All of the boats have inside seating areas where you can stay dry. We normally stay out on deck most of the time and if its raining, you will get wet.I have taken medium sized boat but not a small one. We had rain suits on and had ziplocks and several cloths to dry lens surface of drops, which ended up being losing battle. Everything I had got wet, but all kept working. I saw guy with brand new Rebel digital and it was completely soaked. Spray from the boat was not an issue after getting out to the whales where they slow down.