Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Passenger

Default Shipping packages

Has anyone shipped souvineers or other items home, from an Alaska port such as Ketchikan? Do you know if there is a shipping company there that will have boxes & such? All the layers & then "dinner clothes" are filling up suitcase & don't want to carry extra just for souvineers.

Thanks for any help!!
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Passenger

We went on the diamond princess june 30th and my sister-in-law shipped all of her souv. home from a store on the main st. in Ketchican. She had a coupon from a book that we got when we got on the ship in Whitier. She shipped all her gifts to her son in Philadelphia Pa (and it was a lot) and it only cost her 7.50!!!!! I saw her the other night and she said nothing was damaged. I was sorry that I didn't do the same. Oh well live and learn.
Old August 29th, 2007, 01:03 AM
First Mate

It must be much cheaper to ship from Alaska then to Alaska. My niece lives in Anchorage and it is really expensive when we send a gift to her. A little package, like a shirt, can cost almost $20.

When we were on the ship, we bought a Carnival bag that when folded closed is small and flat. When you open it up, it's the size of a duffle bag. It's perfect for bringing home stuff. It fits in the overhead compartment on the plane.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old November 2nd, 2007, 01:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Shipping to or from Alaska is just like shipping anywhere else in the US, except that there isn't technically any "ground" service. For example, when shipping FedEx, Seattle to Juneau is just one zone, and therefore costs less than Seattle to Valdosta, GA.

Want the "insider's tip"? Get to a US Post Office and ship your stuff via Priority Mail. If there's anything too valuable, slap some extra insurance on for good measure. Watch the boxes, as some are charged by the pound (and based on distance) and some are a flat-rate box no matter how much you cram in it and how far across the country you send it. In Juneau, there's a Postal Contract Store right downtown that always has a good supply of shipping materials. Also, while you're shopping, don't hesitate to ask the shops you're buying stuff in if you can have a box or two. Some of the shops in Juneau spend thousands of dollars each month on trash service to get rid of dumpsters full of cardboard, packing peanuts, etc. and would be happy to have some of the load relieved.

-Case