Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Passenger

Default whittier-anchorage transfer

i am planning to stay in anchorage for a few nights following my cruise which disembarks in whittier...

princess offers a rail service transfer if you buy a package with the captain cook hotel from them. sounds fun but...

i can get a better deal for a hotel+rental car independently...

so, if i book the hotel on my own how do i arrange a transfer from the port to the airport (to pick up my car)? Approximately how much will it cost?
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Princess also offers a bus transfer to downtown Anchorage, where your rental car will be cheaper than at the airport. Or you can take the regular run of the Alaska Railroad, or even a limo service.
Old October 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM
First Mate

We were on Carnival and went on their post cruise excursion to Blackstone Glacier (it was fantastic). the excursion also included transpotation to Anchorage.

Whittier is a small place and all the people who live there all live in one building. I thought they were joking but it's true.

If you don't want to take a post cruise excursion, at least take something from the ship that will get you to downtown Anchorage or the Airport. There is one road from Whittier to Anchorage and you have to go through a one lane tunnel which only allows for one way traffic. The direction through the tunnel changes on the half hour.

We spent 5 days in Anchorage and loved it! We took one of the days and drove to Seward. It took about 3 hours each way but was worth each and every second of the drive. I can't even begin to describe how beautiful it was. On the way back we saw a pod of Beluga whales swimming through the channel.

Downtown Anchorage has some great restaurants and if you like beer, you'll be in heaven with some of the Alaskan beers. I don't particularly care for beer but even I enjoyed some of the beers my DH ordered.

By the way, the rental cars in Anchorage are EXPENSIVE. The taxes alone on our 5 day rental were around $120.

Carnival - Spirit: Alaska (August 8, 2007)
Carnival - Miracle: Exotic Western Caribbean (April 9, 2006)
Royal Caribbean - Explorer of the Seas: Eastern Caribbean (January 2005)
Old October 28th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Passenger

yeah i was looking at some of the whittier excursions... am particularly interested in kayaking prince william sound... that would be cool if the transfer was included i will look into that...

spent only a few days in anchorage this summer and really enjoyed it. snow city cafe has THE BEST breakfasts but didn't really get to try any dinner places... all the places i wanted to try that were listed as moderately priced and popular with locals would have required a car.

oh and i MUST do a plug for liberty ice cream parlor near the captain cook hotel it was some of the best ice cream i have ever had and fun "alaska" flavors like fireweed and honey and amazing berry flavors... *droooool*

hmmm... when i went on expedia to look at rental car prices alamo averaged around $40 a day... they had some good hotel+rental car combos too...