Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Beginner

Default Customizing thru an Alaskan tour outfitter? Pt Barrow?

Can anyone recommend an Alaskan based tour outfitter for setting up our own 4 day land tour? I have been told that there are some excellent companies to use. Thought this would allow us to customize the land portion of our trip during early July/08.

Also has anyone flown up to Pt Barrow? Would it be best to fly up there from Anchorage or Fairbanks? Has anyone flown on the mail plane?
Sponsored Links
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Admiral

Is this "4 day tour" only including getting to Barrow?? I went with a private guide, which is only what I recommend. Sorry, I won't give out the name of who I went with. I suggest you contact the King Elder or Top of the World Hotel and ask for recommendations- then interview them.

There are no "mail runs" to Barrow except on Alaska Airlines. I've flown and many cargo runs out of Fairbanks.
Old December 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Beginner

Pt Barrow is to be only a one day excursion. I have the Knightly Tours Alaska & Cdn Rockies book. They offer 3 choices , one being the Bush Mail Plane Tour thru Warbelow's Air stopping in 3-5 villages to deliver the mail. The other two offer jetting right up with some Eskimo lifestyle included or flightseeing with detours if animals are seen.
Do you still think that contacting the hotels would be a better option?
Old December 8th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

Holy moly! Karen and I have something in common!

Give a call and get referrals for private guides. Interview them a bit, and go with whoever offers a good deal and has a work-able personality for you. Most of the "cruisetour" extensions are a bit "canned" for my tastes, although I've always enjoyed the North Slope tours offered by Princess.

-Case
Old December 9th, 2007, 08:36 AM
Admiral

I do not recommend any day trips to Barrow, and frankly 4 days is not enough time if you are also looking at a day of flightseeing out of Fairbanks. How do you plan on making your ship???

I have flown with Warbelows many times. BUT, I now, pick and choose what areas I want depending on their schedule. I call ahead and usually have 2-3 days open, then purchase.

Your "Eskimo", lifestyle is where??? It's important to get the locations for me to give you information. Sounds like Anaktuvuk Pass??? Which is spectacular scenery (I wouldn't purchase a canned "tour" there myself, but have flown up there on cargo flights).

Since you won't have a lot of time, I suggest you contact them when they have their flight schedules- probably a week or two before?? (verify this) and do your homework in the meantime on locations, as an example, I wouldn't bother with Ft. Yukon, Coldfoot, Wiseman, just my opinion, but not real scenic flightseeing.