Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 8th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy
Default alaska questions

Going to Alaska next year but am trying to get all my options in a row. I think we are going to cruise Carnival (have done so with alaska before and loved it) because of the prices (better in my opinion) but am thinking of doing a post cruise side trip. Any suggestions? I was thinking of doing the southern cruise so we would dock in Vancouver. Any suggestions or should I do the northern cruise and do a post cruise out of Ancourage? I have NO IDEA where to start..
Old December 8th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Admiral

You have a priority for the dock in Vancouver??? Is Vancouver your priority for touring?? Southbound sailings offer you more scenic sailing with daytime inside Vancouver Island, northbound is at night.

You can't do a pre cruise tour??? Did you tour interior Alaska or Vancouver on your last trip?? These may be some ideas you need to sort out??

It may also be a matter of time- if you don't have an extra week, it's hard to do much touring in Alaska, but with 3+++ days, you can do a lot in/out of Vancouver.

I've toured both places many times. This past summer, spent a week on Vancouver Island with three whale watches out of Alert Bay/ Port Hardy. Also visited Victoria.

So certainly both areas are very worthwhile, you are going to have to choose what you want to do.
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I'd prefer a post cruise tour as the way my work schedule works, Its easier to leave and come back at this time -- which will give me 1 1/2 days R & R before going back to work. A plus...if you know what I mean after traveling half way around the world. Thats why I chose the southbound (Ancourage to Vancouver) sailing.