Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 31st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Beginner

Default Need help with excursions for 50th birthday celebration

My husband I will be crusing to Alsaks for the first time this July to celebrate his 50th birthday. We are on Holland America and sail 7/23 thru 7/30, with stops in Junea, Skagway and Ketchikan.

My husband wants to do two specific excursions:

a zipline tour
dog sledding/helicopter trip to glacier

Can anyone suggests which ports we should do these in? Is there a zipline in Alaska other than in Juneau. In my limited research, it looks as though the helicopeter/dog sled excursion wil have to be done in Juneau.

The dogsleeding and helicopter trip to Mendenhalll(spelling?) glacier thru the ship is very expensive, is there a cheaper option that anyone knows of?
Also, any good pubs/bars that we can stop in after the excursions to have a drink and a toast? Nothing fancy, beers and wings will make us happy.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:12 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I'd like to know the same thing as I have only seen the dog sled excursion in Jeauna (sp??) and we would like to go on it too. Congrats on your 50th!
Old January 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Admiral

Glacier dog sledding is available out of Juneau with TEMSCO, Coastal and ERA- who usually will not direct book cruiseship passegers. And out of Skagway with TEMSCO. Be advised it is the most canceled of all Alaska tours. You also are not on ice but on snow. You do NOT drive your own sled, two sleds are hooked together. You ride either in the basket or on the runner. You switch posistions part way, if you choose to.

There is zipline in Ketchikan.

The Red Dog in Juneau is popular, but I prefer the historic Alaska Hotel across the street.

There is the Red Onion in Skagway and several bars in Ketchikan.
Old January 12th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Juneau and Skagway are the 2 ports you have to choose from for helicopter ice-field tours.

Juneau and Ketchikan are your choices for ziplines with 2 different operations in Juneau and one in Ketchikan.

The Red Dog Saloon is the popular tourist hot-spot in Juneau, and they've got signs in their (closed) windows to let all know of "New Ownership." Not that the new folks don't know what they're doing, but I don't suspect they even have a liquor license to sell beer at this point. I'm sure all will be squared away there by the time the first ship arrives in April.

Also note that all bars and restaurants are now smoke-free in Juneau. The second phase of the smoking ban went into effect last week with the beginning of 2008...

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case