CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   North or South Bound? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/344276-north-south-bound.html)

Tracyd1014 January 4th, 2008 07:02 PM

North or South Bound?

So what's better, North or South Bound and why? And which port is best to leave/arrive out of? And which side of the ship is better depending on the N or S bound?

thinfool1 January 5th, 2008 12:26 AM

Do a back to back and then give us a report!

Seriously, you will get all answers here.

Personally, Vancouver is the port to sail from. You will see more of the Inside Passage from Vancouver than from Seattle.

Also, if you want to see something wonderful, take an extra day or two, ride the ferry to Victoria and visit Butchart Gardens.

cherylroy January 5th, 2008 09:55 PM

My first alaska cruise I did round trip to glacier bay from vancouver. This next cruise - May 09 I am going south - leaving from anchorage and docking final day in vancouver. I did this because I want to fly back from vancouver - shorter time to home in Louisiana. No other reason as i'm a loss of which way to go too. As far as right or left - I settled that by getting an aft balcony so I can see both in one shot! We did it the first time and it was wonderful!

Karen16 January 10th, 2008 03:52 PM

I have cruised both directions several times. I prefer southbound for the daylight sailing of Inside Vancouver Island. Northbound is mostly sailed at night.

In making your choice, look also at port times. Longer is better most of the time. :)

IF you are sailing Glacier Bay and/or College Fjords AND ONLY want glacier viewing from your cabin, you need a port side cabin. But be aware the superior viewing is from outside decks, especially the front. Otherwise, it really doesn't matter what side, both at some point will have scenic sailing. Ships no longer sail "coastal" out of the Inside Passage, and many go open ocean.

Kamloops Cruiser January 26th, 2008 06:57 PM

HAL NB cruises stop in Haines rather than Skagway . This means that you won't be able to see the White Pass RR . They stop in Skagway SB and you can ride the White Pass RR.
:D :D
This is why we booked a NB/SB (14 Day on Veendam ) from Vancouver
with my Dad

Johnathan February 10th, 2008 11:18 PM

Well call me indecisive because I chose the Glacier Bay trip so we go North then South and an aft balcony cabin so we have a panoramic view LOL can't go wrong!!

cherylroy February 10th, 2008 11:56 PM

Jonathon - I totally agree 110%! We did that our first trip to alaska -- glacier bay with the aft balcony. This is our 2nd go round and we just thought if we went one way (north or south) we would see something different since we saw glacier bay already. And the north/south bound trips also stop at sitka. Not sure if that is a factor or not however. Thanks!

Rev22:17 February 11th, 2008 08:47 PM

Re: North or South Bound?

Tracyd1014,

Quote:

Originally Posted by You
So what's better, North or South Bound and why? And which port is best to leave/arrive out of? And which side of the ship is better depending on the N or S bound?

I think that the scenery does grow more impressive as one travels northward, but the more significant consideration is the day of the week when a cruise begins and ends. It's worth timing one's trip to be in Anchorage over a weekend since that's when the city's street fairs, outdoor market, etc., come to life. Thus, I would be more inclined to choose either a northbound cruise that ends in either Seward or Whittier on Thursday or Friday or a southbound cruise that departs from those ports on a Monday or Tuesday.

Norm.