Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 21st, 2008, 09:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Kayak guided tour Alaska

Hi
Anyone know of Above & Beyond Alaska guided kayak tours in Juneau?
$125/pp Tongass Wildlife Kayak tour?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks.

Nona Mary
Sponsored Links
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

That's their shortest kayak tour offering, yes? If you've got the time, I would consider something like their Captain's Choice Kayak tour. The Tongass tour spends too much time in a van, IMO.

-Case
Old January 22nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Case,

Thanks for the reply. We will only be in Juneau from 7 - 3, so we would not be able to do anything or see anything else. You are right, it would be over an hour in a van, and with a short port day we would not get to walk around at all.

See, it never hurts to ask and get another opinion!

Also found a guide in Sitka, this is shorter, only 2 hrs, which leaves alot more time for the feet to do some walking, and Sitka is our longest time in any of the ports.

Thanks again!!
Safe travels,
Nona
Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hi Nona!

I think I'd rather kayak in Sitka anyway... it's on the outer coast, so the wildlife (marine and land) is absolutely spectacular.

In Juneau, the helicopter flight-seeing, salmon fishing, whale watching, Mendenhall Glacier and Mt. Roberts Tram (oh, and don't forget the zip-lines) all offer great "bang-for-the-buck" in a short amount of time. There are still plenty of options for adventure even with the shorter port time here.

Happy Travels!
-Case
Old January 23rd, 2008, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Case.

Good point. I did not know the wildlife part of the kayak trip would be a notch better in Sitka, I was thinking only of the time needed. SO that settles it, will kayak in Sitka. Kayaking will be my adventure for this trip.

Might do marv and harv whale watch in Juneau. Bless those souls who have the umph to zip-line and do flight-seeing jaunts, but this gal can't manage that! Last trip I para-sailed, so at least I did one thing to startle my family! (Can't swim, afraid of height)

Take care,
thanks again,
Nona
Old January 23rd, 2008, 11:56 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NonaMary
Thanks Case.

Good point. I did not know the wildlife part of the kayak trip would be a notch better in Sitka, I was thinking only of the time needed. SO that settles it, will kayak in Sitka. Kayaking will be my adventure for this trip.

Might do marv and harv whale watch in Juneau. Bless those souls who have the umph to zip-line and do flight-seeing jaunts, but this gal can't manage that! Last trip I para-sailed, so at least I did one thing to startle my family! (Can't swim, afraid of height)

Take care,
thanks again,
Nona
Pete and Jay are the greatest! I run tours alongside them all the time, and it's always a great day on the water when Harv & Marv are out running around! If your family likes cookies, Eileen's are worth every penny.

-Case
Old January 26th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Case,

Just as a follow up, and for anyone else looking for excursions.
We went with a kayak guided tour in Sitka, ssoceanadventures. Quick replies with the emails, confirmation, etc., @2 hr tour - in the morning - which leaves time to see the area. (Small group).

Above and Beyond sounded good, Becky was a pleasure to deal with, but our port time is so limited we decided on to kayak in Sitka.

We also booked with Harv and Marv for whale watching in Juneau. I spoke to Eileen today, (nice girl) and shortly had my confirmaition on my email.

Only one other ship in port w/us in Sitka, but 5 other ships will be with us in Juneau, so I am glad I got those reservations in place.

Safe travels!
Nona
Old January 31st, 2008, 07:43 PM
Passenger

Default kayak tour

I'm actually booked for that tour in June. They were recommended by friends and they seem really on top of things and very nice. Looking forward to it!
Old February 1st, 2008, 05:36 PM
Passenger

Hello Nona and Case, thanks for your info! We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert in June/July. I am looking to book excursions independently as well. Anymore info on zipline, kyaking, or whale watching? Marv and HArv sound great, I'll check that out.
Many THanks!
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Old February 1st, 2008, 06:09 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruze Lover
Hello Nona and Case, thanks for your info! We will be in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Prince Rupert in June/July. I am looking to book excursions independently as well. Anymore info on zipline, kyaking, or whale watching? Marv and HArv sound great, I'll check that out.
Many THanks!
I'm not much of a kayaker... we spend all of our water time out on the Can Can, and I don't get much time to paddle (except what my 8 hp Yamaha can do when we're camping!) so I'm a bit tapped out on Kayaking info...

Here's a good thread with lots of good information on ziplining, and here's a long-winded (but informative) missive about whale watching...

Hope any of it helps.
-Case