Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:11 PM
Passenger

Default Snorkel Excursions

Hi Everyone.
I've got my flight excursion picked out and now I'm on to the next...Snorkeling.

It appears that I have two options through Holland.

Mountain Point Snorkeling Adventure in Ketchikan for $98
or
Dry Suit Snorkel in Sitka for $129

They appear to be pretty much identical in description so I'm wondering if any of you have done either of these. Itinerary wise, I'd prefer doing the snorkel in Sitka because Ketchikan has many more options available, however, I'm not set in stone and just want the best snorkeling experience.

I've done plenty of snorkeling in the Caribbean. What should I expect in Alaska?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Old January 24th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've dove (SCUBA and surface supply) in both ports. Sitka is far superior, IMO... the water is almost always much more clear than in Ketchikan (the farther away from the glacial main-land areas, the better!) and the dry suits make for a much more enjoyable experience than getting wet. Of all my 10,000+ hours underwater, I've enjoyed the USS Wilkes-Barre near Key West, and all of the dives I've done up here the best...

Have Fun!
-Case
Old January 25th, 2008, 01:55 PM
Passenger

thanks for the info.

what should I be expecting to see underwater in Alaska?

It can't be anything like the Caribbean, so I have no idea what to expect.
Old January 25th, 2008, 02:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandutch
thanks for the info.

what should I be expecting to see underwater in Alaska?

It can't be anything like the Caribbean, so I have no idea what to expect.
I'm short on time this morning, so I can't give a huge-lengthy post, but go grab any guidebook related to diving on the Pacific coast... all the way from Northern California to Alaska, including WA and OR... Vancouver BC has been big in the SCUBA industry the last few years too.

Now take all the things those areas promise to show you, and make them BIGGER! From colorful (and spiny) rock-fish, nudibranchs, sea-weed and coral to humpback whales and schools of salmon so large they literally bump into you in the water.

I would certainly appreciate your take on things once you've completed your trip as well. The point of view of a SCUBA diver is often quite different from the view of a snorkeler! ;-)

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case