Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Passenger

Default anchorage hotel bag storage??

Hi!

We're going on an Alaska cruise in July with the cruise part lasting 7 days and then we take the rail to Denali, stay there a couple nights and then head to Anchorage. Our flight home doesn't leave Anchorage until 8pm (only direct flight available unless we wanted to leave at 7am!) so I'm wondering about our luggage.

I don't know which hotel we're staying at yet (as soon as I find out I plan on calling them but holland america said it'll be closer to our stay until they know, apparently there are 3 or 4 hotels they use) but has anyone had luck storing their bags at the hotel while they sightsee? We'll have too many bags to shlep them around with us so any thoughts on this would be much appreciated!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Passenger

I assume that you have an included transfer with HAL from the hotel to the airport? (this is normal)

If so, they will provide storage until it is time to go to the airport.
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old March 5th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Passenger

i was under the impression that as the "cruise" (although at that point we'll be on land) ended at 8am and our flight wasn't until 8pm we couldn't do a transfer from the hotel to the airport
Old March 5th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaj
i was under the impression that as the "cruise" (although at that point we'll be on land) ended at 8am and our flight wasn't until 8pm we couldn't do a transfer from the hotel to the airport
We did a Princess cruisetour last August...ended at 8 am, but they provided xfer to the airport after that.

Best idea...call HAL and ask. They may not know which hotel you will be in, but they will know the answer to this question. I know for a fact that the Hilton has several (usually unused) conference rooms that were being used for bag storage last year when we were there.

Btw, HAL and Princess primarily use two hotels in Anchorage..the Hilton and Captain Cook. They are within 2-3 blocks of each other. There is also a Sheraton, but I don't know if they use it or not. It, also, is within a 3-4 block distance of the other two.

Old March 6th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Passenger

thanks for all the tips! once i find out the hotel i'll just call them directly. i know when we had a cruise from montreal to boston a couple years ago we checked out of the hotel in montreal before we needed to be at port and they had our bags....just needed to tip the bellman nicely :-)

also i'll call HAL regarding whether we can do a transfer with such a late flight....although it shouldn't be hard to get a cab to the airport from a hotel -right?
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspaj
also i'll call HAL regarding whether we can do a transfer with such a late flight....although it shouldn't be hard to get a cab to the airport from a hotel -right?
If its any comfort, there will be many others coming and going with HAL. You will not be alone in that regard. HAL will either have a live person in the hotel that you can contact most any time or a courtesy phone that will allow you to do so.

They know which side their bread is buttered on and they go more than the extra mile to make your experience with them an exceptional one.

It is not out of the question that others on your cruisetour will be on the same flight as you.

A taxi is always an option, but it would be good to exhaust the HAL possibilities before deciding. The ride from downtown to the airport (surface streets) can be 10-20 minutes, depending on traffic.