Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 29th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Default Need help in planning our first Alasak cruise!!!

Our family of five with two girls (age 14 and 10) and a senior plan to have a round trip Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in early August of 08 (fairly fixed schedule). There are so many different cruise lines and itineraries to choose from when I checked on line and I am all confused.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated on a good choice of cruise line and itinerary that can get the most experience and the best value if possible.

Thanks!

Hong

Sponsored Links
Old March 29th, 2008, 10:48 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Need help in planning our first Alasak cruise!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlhgxu
Our family of five with two girls (age 14 and 10) and a senior plan to have a round trip Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in early August of 08 (fairly fixed schedule). There are so many different cruise lines and itineraries to choose from when I checked on line and I am all confused.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated on a good choice of cruise line and itinerary that can get the most experience and the best value if possible.

Thanks!

Hong

Most of the cruiselines are OK. Not one will do for the whole group.
Example Holland America/Celebrity have a higher age average approx 55
Carnival is probably is probably about 20 yes lower. It is also considered a party ship.Cabins on most Alaska cruises are filling up or are close to full for Aug 08

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 30th, 2008, 09:26 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Our family of five with two girls (age 14 and 10) and a senior plan to have a round trip Alaska cruise out of Vancouver in early August of 08 (fairly fixed schedule).
1. You need to book something immediately for any kind of cabin selection. July and August are the most popular months and fill quickly.

2. There are only a handful of round trips out of Vancouver. Check Holland America and Royal Caribbean.

3. I suggest Holland America. Holland America and Princess have the most experience in Alaska, but Princess has no round trips out of Vancouver. Holland America has a reputation for having an older crowd. This is not true in Alaska. They have a nice mix of ages.

4. There are many more round trips out of Seattle, but they spend a lot of time on the open ocean compared to the round trips out of Vancouver, which sail most of the Inside Passage.

5. Finally, you cannot really make a bad choice for an Alaskan cruise. All of the cruise lines take you to some of the most wonderful places on earth.
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 (Mediterranean)

Old March 30th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Admiral

Most Seattle trips have one less stop in Alaska. This because the
"Jones Act" requires non US flagged ships to stop in a foreign port (Victoria or Prince Rupert) for a min time.

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old March 30th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopydozer
Most Seattle trips have one less stop in Alaska. This because the
"Jones Act" requires non US flagged ships to stop in a foreign port (Victoria or Prince Rupert) for a min time.

Have you heard anything recent regarding the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA)? A week or two ago, I had good, albeit unsubstantiated, information that a compromise had nearly been reached and DHS had found a way to exempt the cruises in the PacNW...

-Case
Old March 31st, 2008, 10:55 AM
Admiral

Haven't heard of any changes or compromise yet. If there is a change it probably doesn't affect the 2008 season.

Ships Sailed:

Old March 31st, 2008, 12:08 PM
Passenger

We are cruising Alaska R/T Vancouver on Celebrity this summer. Might want to check their rates out. We love Celebrity, our favorite line. Fabulous service and food, refined but not stuffy.
Norwegian Crown Bermuda 9-07
Royal Caribbean Splendour Of The Seas Mexico
3-07
Celebrity Horizon Bermuda 9-05
Holland America Zuiderdam Caribbean 9-04
Celebrity Galaxy Caribbean 5-03
Royal Caribbean Nordic Empress Caribbean 12-98
Old March 31st, 2008, 05:37 PM
Captain

IMHO find a cruise that visits Glacier Bay. That will limit your choices of itineraries and lines as well. Celebrity for example doesn't go to Glacier Bay. We sailed Celebrity in Alaska and loved it FYI.....but no Glacier bay was a negative, in spite of Hubbard being awsome.

Last year HAL had some cruises that visited both Glacier Bay and Tracy arm. I haven't checked to see if they're doing that this year but if they are that's my suggestion for the best round trip itinerary.

We've said in August 3 times to Alaska on round trips. HAL, Celebrity, NCL (out of Seattle). Honestly I didn't notice any real difference in average age. There were passengers of all ages including many kids. Every time we walked by the teen area it was crowded so your 14 yr old should be able to meet and make friends, with any luck.
My son was 10 at the time of our last trip and there were also plenty of kids in his age group and when he decided to partake in the activities for kids he really enjoyed.

I suggest go to one of the web travel sites like Yahoo travel and compare trips. But I also would find a good cruise travel agent to actually book the cruise.

You're going to love it no matter what choice you make.....including the girls.
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:32 PM
Passenger

If you haven't booked yet, I noticed that NCL is having a Spring sale if you book this week, they are throwing in an OBC. I know the Pearl is RT from Seattle and offers 4 ports as well as cruising Glacier Bay. I am not too sure that the ships are all booked already. . .I know that my sailing in July, the fares have gone down since February.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 08:00 PM
Captain

Quote:

Thanks!

Hong

Hi hlhgxu:

I would also recommend a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay has always been the highlight of any Alaskan cruise for us. If you can find some round trip cruises that go to Glacier Bay that would be my choice for any round trip cruise. I believe Holland America, which would be my first choice, may have some round trips that stop at Glacier Bay. I have not sailed on the Pearl yet, but have read many good reports about that ship. Several cruise lines do go to Glacier Bay but Celebrity and RCCI cruise lines are not allowed into Glacier Bay.

Winston Churchill

email: debra2106@yahoo.com
Old April 4th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Admiral

[quote="doopydozer

Most of the cruiselines are OK. Not one will do for the whole group.
Example Holland America/Celebrity have a higher age average approx 55
Carnival is probably is probably about 20 yes lower. It is also considered a party ship.Cabins on most Alaska cruises are filling up or are close to full for Aug 08
[/quote]

This is completely not true for Alaska, I've sailed 5 different lines in ALASKA and demographics are about the SAME on them all with middle aged and above the bulk. There are NO party ships yet, and I've sailed Carnival 3 times there.

There is no comparism with the Caribbean and Alaska sailings.