Old April 13th, 2008, 11:31 PM
Beginner

Default Active Shore Excursions?

My boyfriend and I are going on our first Alaskan Cruise and I'd love some advice on shore excursions. We're in our late 20s and both pretty athletic and adventurous, so I'd love to find something active and maybe even a little challenging (?). We'll be stopping ion Juneau, Skagaway, and Prince Rupert. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Passenger

i don't know what ship you're going on but they should have excursion information available...

we're going to alaska on HAL in July and in the excursion guide one of our stops has a zipline tour which sounds awesome - and possibly the type of thing you're looking for?

have fun!
Old April 23rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Active Shore Excursions?

bethe,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
My boyfriend and I are going on our first Alaskan Cruise and I'd love some advice on shore excursions. We're in our late 20s and both pretty athletic and adventurous, so I'd love to find something active and maybe even a little challenging (?). We'll be stopping ion Juneau, Skagaway, and Prince Rupert. Any suggestions? Thanks!!
In Skagway, I highly recommend one or another of the excursions that includes a ride on the White Pass & Yukon Route, a narrow gauge railroad built to haul prospectors, equipment, and supplies into the Yukon during the Yukon Gold Rush. This railroad, still regarded as a marvel of civil engineering, passes through some really incredible terrain that offers incredible views. IIRC, there's an excursion that combines a ride "up" the mountain on the train with a bicycle ride down the mountain.

In Juneau, there's a zip lining excursion and a sea kayaking excursion.

Norm.
Old April 24th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Beginner

Haven't been yet - we go in May, and the port we have in common is Juneau. But we looked, briefly - before we decided it might too much for us geezers - at a mountain biking excursion and at a glacier adventure that included rappelling. Both were offered thru HAL (the line we're on) but are probably available independently or maybe something similar thru your line if you're not on HAL.

More power to you - I miss the energy of my twenties (but not much else, truth be told ;>)

Carla
Old April 27th, 2008, 11:22 PM
Passenger

We've booked all our excursions (during and post cruise) ourselves...we are pretty active and found on our first Alaska cruise that most of the tours offered weren't quite what we were looking for. Suggest you check out: southeast sea kayaks in ketchikan (www.kayakketchikan.com) for orcas cove, above and beyond alaska (www.beyondak.com) for a great hike and glacier trek at the mendenhall glacier (ask Becky the owner for more self-booked excursion ideas...she had tons of good ones!), and in Skagway we decided to rent a car so we could do our own thing, drive over the pass and hike along the way. So many options, so little time!!!!
Have fun! Mary Ann
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Beginner

Default Thanks!

Thanks for all the great tips!!!
Old May 7th, 2008, 02:37 PM
KennyN

I wish we could've had more time doing more excursions, but the one I went on was the helicopter ride to the glacier walk. Great view and fascinated by the excursion.