Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default fishing in Alaska

What is the best way to go fishing, other than going on a boat, like off a pier and in a river somewhere? Any ideas? Doesn't really want to do a charter type fishing trip.

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Donna-

What ports will the lucky fisher-person be visiting?

Juneau and Ketchikan both have rod-rental/license selling shacks near a dock for snagging keta and pinks when they're running... time of year will have a BIG effect on fishing too...

Otherwise, there are plenty of stream and river fishing opportunities... giant rainbow trout, dolly varden, cutthroat, steelhead, etc... usually caught with a fly, but there's plenty of spinning gear around for those that don't know the finer arts of throwing line.

Give times and ports and I can probably recommend a few guides or places/ways to do a self-guided thing...

-Case
Old April 29th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Admiral

Hi Case,
The ports are Juneau, Ketchikan and Skagway along with Tracy Arm. There was flyfishing offered by Princess in Ketchikan, but there is also a Canopy tour, can't do both??

Thanks for any ideas.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Juneau and Ketchikan both have a Canopy Tour AND great fishing, so, unless there's another conflict, you can do either activity in either port. The Canopy Tours seem to all be sticking to the book-via-your-cruise-line method, and there's not much benefit to booking direct on that one.

For fishing excursions, however, I'm always a big fan of booking directly with the guide. I can recommend several great local freshwater guides here in Juneau, but I haven't been trout fishing in Ketchikan in about 20 years to know who's working down there...

This may be one of those "schedule each excursion where it fits the rest of your touring priorities best" kind of scenarios...

-Case
Old April 29th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Admiral

Thanks Case,
I know I have to go whale watching in Juneau, but there may be some time to also do a canopy tour. If we can find some fishing in Ketchikan for a few hours, not 5, we can also do the canopy tour there too???

Thanks a bunch for your advise :-)

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 9th, 2008, 01:04 PM
Beginner

Default Rod rentals

Case - you mentioned that "Juneau and Ketchikan both have rod-rental/license selling shacks near a dock for snagging keta and pinks when they're running... time of year will have a BIG effect on fishing too... " Hubby will be in Ketchikan 6/2 & Juneau 6/3 - anything running that he could catch from the dock? He fishes alot here in FL and was hoping to bring along a portable rod & hoped to find some time in between things to fish on his own while were in port. A rental rod would be even better.
Old June 9th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Beginner

Having trouble booking a guide in Juneau for 4 hr Salmon....and really, really wanna catch some fish. 4 of us......Can you help? Glenda, TEXAS
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Rod rentals

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailNAgain
Case - you mentioned that "Juneau and Ketchikan both have rod-rental/license selling shacks near a dock for snagging keta and pinks when they're running... time of year will have a BIG effect on fishing too... " Hubby will be in Ketchikan 6/2 & Juneau 6/3 - anything running that he could catch from the dock? He fishes alot here in FL and was hoping to bring along a portable rod & hoped to find some time in between things to fish on his own while were in port. A rental rod would be even better.
Sorry I missed this... been a busy 6 weeks around here!
Early June is too soon for pink and keta salmon. All that's around will be King salmon, and the numbers aren't high enough to support good dock fishing. For June I would suggest a boat charter... there are plenty of private and shared charters available in all of the ports. Ketchikan, Juneau, Sitka and Hoonah (ISP) will be the best choices for kings.

-Case
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by glendag
Having trouble booking a guide in Juneau for 4 hr Salmon....and really, really wanna catch some fish. 4 of us......Can you help? Glenda, TEXAS
Hi Glenda!

I can't "do business" in the forums directly... try contacting me via PM or eMail and I'll be happy to help.

I assume "having trouble" means you've contacted all of the usual suspects in Juneau: Harv & Marv, Scania, Alaskan Marine Adventures, Rum Runner, Hi Time, Islander, Lost in Alaska, Lucky Dog, Fish Hunter Charters, Wolverine Charters or Bear Creek Outfitters... There's a good chance nobody is available, depending on your dates. Everyone offers a 4 or 5 hour half-day charter... plan on spending around $800 for the 4 of you... since you've got enough to meet anyone's minimum, try asking for a "whole boat" rate for a private charter. No boat can fish more than 6 guests anyway, so it will be quite nice to have your own private charter if you can find one this late in the game. I know Wolverine Charters, Lost in Alaska and Alaskan Marine Adventures all have a few openings, but it really does depend on specific dates and your ship's port times.

Hope this helps some...
Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case