Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Tracy Arm Fjord

The only glacier I've viewed was Hubbard and I must say, I was in awe....This possible Star Princess cruise goes to Tracy Arm....How is this compared to Hubbard? Is there a comparison?

Message Boards Moderator
Sponsored Links
Old April 29th, 2008, 02:40 AM
Cruise Maniac

No comparison at all... Hubbard is in a large, open bay... basically ocean cruising with a big ice-cube thrown in.

Tracy Arm is as much an experience of the wildlife and fjord itself as it is a "glacier cruise"... the 2 halves of Sawyer Glacier are a bit small if compared to Hubbard, but the terrain, scenery and wildlife just can't be beat.

Now for the bad news... the big ships scare off (and don't stop for) the wildlife. They're also on a tight time schedule, and I think the Star Princess has a record of somewhere near 50% of the time needing to turn around before you even see the glaciers.

If it were me, and if Tracy Arm were a priority, I would look for an itinerary that gives you 10 hours in Juneau... if you're ported by 7:30, you can catch the 8:00 (or sometimes 9:00 am) Adventure Bound trip... if you're not in until a bit later in the morning (but still have time), Alaskan Marine Adventures or Harv & Marv's can set up a trip on your time schedule...

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Tracy Arm Fjord

Duplicate post

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Tracy Arm Fjord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
The only glacier I've viewed was Hubbard and I must say, I was in awe....This possible Star Princess cruise goes to Tracy Arm....How is this compared to Hubbard? Is there a comparison?
I have to agree with Case..Pick a cruise where you will have enough time to see Tracy Arm on a small boat..Last year we took the Adventure Bound trip and it was awesome!
http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559852870rlducw
There is a link to some of the photos we took in Tracy Arm..I know Sawyer Glacier isnt massive compared to Hubbard but when you are there it is VERY IMPRESSIVE..Specially when you get so close you could almost hit it with a rock..Our Tracy Arm cruise we saw humpbacks, Orcas, Eagles, mountain goats or are they called Dahl Sheep and some of the most beautiful scenery I have ever experienced..This trip was the hightlight of any vacation we ever had..

Kelly

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things
that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." ~ Mark Twain
Old May 3rd, 2008, 05:52 AM
Admiral

I did see some of Tracy Arm on the travel channel, looks very interesting and there is a glacier there, so I'm looking forward to it, hope we can get close enough.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 4th, 2008, 01:01 AM
First Mate

Default Star Princess & Tracy Arm

Donna - when are you going on the Star? I'm going solo on the Star out of Seattle June 1st. I also saw Tracy Arm on the travel channel just within the last week - can't wait! Hope the weather is warm enough first week of June.
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:53 AM
Admiral

Hi My2cents,
Wow, you get to go very soon. I don't cruise on Star until Aug....

I'd love to hear all about it, what NOT to miss, etc.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 4th, 2008, 06:39 PM
First Mate

Default Will Post My Experience Mid June

Donna - will post my experience after return (mid June). I wish I'd made my plans for July or August...as I think the temperature will be rather cold the first week of June, but will take warmer clothes. This will be my first "solo" cruise and first time to Alaska. I'm staying over in Seattle one day after the cruise, as I've not been there before either and want to see the city. Lots of "firsts"!

Stay tuned!
Old May 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM
Admiral

Thanks My2,
I WILL stay tuned, looking so forward to hearing about everything!
Hey, are you planning on doing any canopy tours up there, I'd love to.
Have fun!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Beginner

We just returned from our Alaskan cruise and this is what we took pictures of as we sailed thru.

[/img]
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:00 AM
Admiral

Beautiful pics CAwife,

At any point do you see more of a glacier?

Thanks,

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Admiral

Actually, it's more like 25% or less that Princess gets decent views of Tracy Arm glaciers. Don't count on it. I'll speculate that is the "close" distance perhaps?? Very typical.

The exception for Tracy Arm is NCL, which has an excellent add on (although costly), Tracy Arm tour, that is an absolute MUST DO in my opinion. Just no comparism to the cruise ship and grossly superior.

Overall, never choose a Tracy Arm itinerary, if glaciers are your priority, and if they are, you need to consider booking some other touring option from your ports.
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Since I get so many questions on Tracy Arm. I put together this photo sample to show the differences.

This was the 7-22-07 NCL Sun sailing. This was the FIRST time this ship made it to within full view of the South Sawyer Glacier. And the ship photo, of normal lens, was the CLOSEST it got.

I, as you can see was on the Tracy Arm tour. NCL is a gem having this. you leave Juneau about 1/2 hour before the cruiseship, plenty of stops along the way, then reboard the cruiseship in Tracy Arm. http://community.webshots.com/user/budgetqueen

If you happen to have all day in Juneau, you can book a Tracy Arm boat tour, you ideally need at least a 7a-7p port time.
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Beginner

No, we did not get very far into the glacier. We had to turn around because of the ice. I wish we could have made it further. I am not sure how "close" we were but we took those pictures from our balcony. It was gorgeous.