Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 11th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Passenger

Default Alaska - dress & excursions for mid-September

Hi all,

Thought we'd leave the Carib behind and try Alaska in Sept.

Any hints on what types of clothes to bring?

Is the weather rainy at that time of the year?

And finally, what excursions have you done and would or would not recommend?

Itinerary:
Ketchikan, Alaska; Juneau, Alaska; Cruise Tracy Arm Fjord, Alaska; Skagway, Alaska; Victoria, British Columbia

Thanks,

Paradise 02
Paradise 03
Inspiration 04
Star Princess 05
Liberty 07
Serenade of the Seas 08
Legend 09
Miracle 09
Emerald 11
Grand 12
Legend 12
Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

We were in Alaska in September. Our cruise was September the 2. We had lovely weather for all ports except Ketchikan and it rained most of the time in port, but we just put on our raincoats (actually fold up ponchos) and an umbrella and had a blast. Ketchikan usually has rain so we were prepared for it.

Weather was beautiful in Juneau and Skagway.
We did not do excursions in Ketchikan, small town and easily walkable.
We walked Creek Street, took in Dolly's House (Interesting bathroom shower curtain decorations) The second time we went to Alaska we chose the Misty Fjords excursion and found it to be one of the most beautiful places we have visited in Alaska. Breath taking scenery, birds, sheep, sea life ---Just beautiful

In Juneau we did a helicopter viewing of several glaciers with a landing on one glacier. This is pricey, but everyone should see Alaska from the air at least one time. Our Pilot gave us a tour of the Juneau Ice Fiels. We saw sheep and a Mother bear with 2 cubs.The snow covered mountains. we were surprised for one side of the mountain was green and lush, and on the other side was all snow and ice. It gives new meaning to "TAKES YOUR BREATH AWAY'.

Skagway we decided on the White Pass-Yukon train excursion. We found the train route to be much better than the motor route. Scenery is just awsome.

Alaska is just an awsome experience. What ever you decide to do you will find yourself just in awe of the beautiful state of Alask.

Enjoy your cruise.
BAndrews
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:58 AM
Passenger

Default Thank you!

Thanks so much for the great info! Good tips on the excursions.

Did you happen to do a whale watching excursion or see whales from the ship?

Thanks again,

Paradise 02
Paradise 03
Inspiration 04
Star Princess 05
Liberty 07
Serenade of the Seas 08
Legend 09
Miracle 09
Emerald 11
Grand 12
Legend 12
Old May 18th, 2008, 10:58 AM
Passenger

Hi, I went to Alaska last September. Bring layers for your clothing. It rained on us in Juneau. I took Sweatshirts and a light jacket for some of it. But also don't forget to pack that rain gear just in case. We went early September. The salmon are spawning and so the bears are out looking for some good food. In Ketchikan I would recommend just enjoying the town. Lots of shopping and lots of salmon swimming. In Skagway we took the train ride, it was beautiful and enjoyed the history behind it. In Juneau we went on a whale watching tour and Mendenhall glacier tour. Thouroughly enjoyed it. We saw lots of whales and I got to see a big black bear along the creek at the Mendenhall glaciers. That is an awesome site. In Victoria BC I highly recommend the Butchart Gardens. I took the most pictures here. It was totally awesome!!! Have a great time and happy sailing.
TxSue
Old May 18th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Whale watching would be best in Juneau, either through a ship excursion or booking yourself. I'd recommend booking with Captl. Larry.

We also did see some killer orca whales from the ship. You just need to be on deck or your balcony a lot to see all there is to offer, amazing scenery.

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 18th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Passenger

Default TXSue

Hi Sue,

Sounds like you had a great cruise! Glad to get your info. If I might ask, what company did you use to whale watch and was it the same company that took you to the Mendenhall galacier?

Have been to Victoria, BC and it was drop-dead beautiful. We met a couple from Vancouver on our very first cruise when she overheard me talking about not bringing the wife's hair dryer and gave us a suggestion she had read on Cruisemates. We did alot of things together on that cruise and became very close friends. On a subsequent visit our friends showed us Vancouver, Victoria, Grouse Mountain, Whistler, Gastown and the area. A great place to visit!!! Our good friends have joined us for a vacation in Florida and we have surprised them by booking a cabin on one of their cruises at the last minute and didn't tell them we were coming and just went and knocked on their door. She opened the door and screamed. The stewards were a bit alarmed but then saw all of the hugging!! Well these folks are joining us for the Alaskan cruise and it will be one big party. The lesson is - you meet the nicest people on Cruisemates!

Thanks for your help, it's much apprecitiated!

Paradise 02
Paradise 03
Inspiration 04
Star Princess 05
Liberty 07
Serenade of the Seas 08
Legend 09
Miracle 09
Emerald 11
Grand 12
Legend 12
Old May 18th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Doggie,
That is a wonderful story about your Cruisemates.

I would love to hear about your Alaska cruise on Serenade of the Seas. That was my first choice for Alaska, but this ship is very full and the prices were high. I'm going on Princess in mid Aug., can't wait!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 18th, 2008, 08:33 PM
Passenger

Default Our AK trips

Hi Donna,

Always nice to chat with you! And I'm sure we'll have questions and tid bits to share before we both do our big adventure to the North. Will be glad to post pics, video and info of our adventures on the Serenade of the Seas. And will be looking forward to yours too!

If you are sailing out of Vancouver you would not be disappointed in taking a few days to tour the area. So many things to see.

Side note: do you have the ability to turn on the HTML in my profile?

Have a nice evening,
Dave

Paradise 02
Paradise 03
Inspiration 04
Star Princess 05
Liberty 07
Serenade of the Seas 08
Legend 09
Miracle 09
Emerald 11
Grand 12