CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Juneau float plane to Lodge with Salmon Bake (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/350988-juneau-float-plane-lodge-salmon-bake.html)

Sailer May 11th, 2008 11:01 PM

Juneau float plane to Lodge with Salmon Bake

I am booked on this excursion, but am afraid it might be rainy. Has anyone done this trip in the rain?

CanCanCase May 12th, 2008 02:33 PM

With over 200" of precipitation each year, yes... many millions of people have done this (and all other) excursions in the rain!

Rain is NOT a problem around here... we call it "liquid sunshine" and it's just a way of life... be prepared with clothes to stay dry. Plan on getting rained on, and enjoy your trip!

Happy (rainy) Alaska Travels!
-Case

dmaikui May 13th, 2008 05:14 PM

Juneau Float Trip

I guess my question should have been, does the plane rock and roll more in the rain? I am a little apprehensive about flying, but it is my 50th birthday and I want to get a little crazy and have fun! I don't mind the rain in general and have been to Alaska several times (I LOVE IT!), but the flying thing gets me thinking.

Thanks!

CanCanCase May 13th, 2008 05:34 PM

Re: Juneau Float Trip

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmaikui
I guess my question should have been, does the plane rock and roll more in the rain? I am a little apprehensive about flying, but it is my 50th birthday and I want to get a little crazy and have fun! I don't mind the rain in general and have been to Alaska several times (I LOVE IT!), but the flying thing gets me thinking.

Thanks!

Ah ha! That's an entirely different question, but the answer is still: "go for it!" No... a DeHaviland Beaver or Otter flies exactly the same in the rain as it does in the sun. Turbulence is NOT normal on these relatively low altitude flights... My wife is terribly afraid of flying in small planes, but as it's a way of life here, she's getting used to the idea.

I don't have any specific numbers to back this up, but based on my 30+ years of flying around up here, I'd say you've got more risk on the jet flight to get to embarkation than you do flying the big float plane to get to the lodge...

Have fun and enjoy!

-Case

mountain dog May 13th, 2008 05:53 PM

We did this Taku last August. It was raining lightly and there was no prblem at all. Visibility was great and turbulence was minimal, no more than usual in these aircraft. We had a wonderful time and the food was some of the most delicious we ate all week. You will have a great time. The peoplle returning to ship as we were arriving at the lodge werte all smiles and told us we were in for a real treat,we were and we bought thier recipe book. Have fun and watch out for bears........MD

dmaikui May 14th, 2008 12:14 AM

Thanks, now I am exicted. LOL

BePreparedAlways June 7th, 2008 01:28 AM

DH and I took the floatplane to the Taku Lodge July 2007. Our best excursion and best eats! If you don't have insect spray, they have some for you; you might need it. Oh yeah, watch for the bears. Have a great cruise.