Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Restaurants in Juneau, Sitka and Ketchikan

We love to get out and eat at the local restauants no matter where we go. Any suggetions? Good local beer and seafood? I heard the Twisted Fish in Juneau was tasty for crab, anyone been there? I've been to the Red Dog a few times.
Sponsored Links
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

We ate at this place in Sitka right across from the Sitka hotl or it may have been right below it. I can't remember the name,but it was the most popular in town. We had the Halibut fish and chips because my wife had eaten there before and raved about it for 5 years. It was very good and great beer on tap. Have fun......MD
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

Another vote for the Twisted Fish - we go every time we get to Juneau. In Sitka all we've done is the lunches served on the boats we go out on (ie http://www.youralaskacruise.com/revi...und-lunch.html ) and Ketchikan stays have always been so short food hasn't been part of the itinerary.

Murray
Old May 16th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Sitka

Thanks for the tip Mountain Dog, I will look for the restaurant near the hotel, hopefully it is walking distance from the tender area. And, thanks to the Twisted Fish fan, I heard they have great crab.

Old May 16th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Cruise Maniac

dmaikui, your welcome and it was indeed the hotel and is very close from tendering........MD
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM
Cruise Maniac

Haven't been as far south as Ketchikan in a while now.

In Juneau, the Fish is good, the Hangar On The Wharf is owned and operated by the same folks... very similar menus, but the Hangar isn't kept as nice. Keep it as a second choice if the Fish is too busy to fit you in. Nobody knows what the Red Dog is doing this season... I have a feeling they're just re-using the same menu from last summer even though it's got new owners. (Just for the record, they've got the sign up that reads, "this shop is owned by an Alaskan Family"... if they were being honest about it, the sign would read, "this shop is owned by an Alaskan partnership made up of 4 or more Alaskan Families, and a national banking firm." So much for "Mom & Pop" business there!) For a quick breakfast or lunch try the quiche at Paradise Bakery next to the Harley Dealer downtown.

I just returned from Sitka, and you'll have trouble choosing. The Harbor View restaurant is now called "Level II" - right across from the tendering dock at Crescent Harbor - upstairs next to the Russian Shop. Great lunch with my family on Friday (crab/albacore melt, halibut burger, etc.)

Channel Club is super, and brand new. A bit of a cab/shuttle ride out HPR, but well worth it for a nice dinner. Ludvig's Bistro (on Katlian St.) is going strong - if you can get in, and the Cafe Mellow Days is great for a quick lunch right downtown. Their quiche rivals Paradise Bakery in Juneau!

Then there was the absolutely delectable fresh caught char poached in white wine and lemon with a butter/garlic sauce... but that's a bit of a "self-service" kind of meal. I'm not really prepared to cook that one for anyone besides family on the Can Can! ;-)

Okay... SE dining in 5 minutes or less... there ya go!
Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case