Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2008, 09:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default icy strait point

Hi guys,
everbody looking good today!! I'm headed to alaska in sept, on serenade of the seas, one of our stops is icy strait point, and i was wondering, has anyone done the icy strait point whale watching with f.i.s.h.e.s. com, and how was the tour. Been thinking of doing the whale and mammal tour excursion through the cruise ship, or go on captain floyd's tour, and also what is the town like, could anybody please let me know?

gottacruz
Old May 22nd, 2008, 12:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Yukon Send a message via Yahoo to Yukon

We love Icy Strait Point (Hoonah), and had a fabulous trip with Floyd (F.I.S.H.E.S.) 2 years ago. You can see or photos and review of it at YourAlaskaCruise.com

Murray
Old May 22nd, 2008, 03:32 AM
Admiral

We took an Alaskan cruise in mid May 2006 that included Icy Strait Point. It is a very small town. I have seen the Humpbacks in Mexico and Alaskan. I didn't see them breech in Alaska. I wonder if breeching is a mate thing.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old May 22nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by katlady
We took an Alaskan cruise in mid May 2006 that included Icy Strait Point. It is a very small town. Since you have talking about Whale Watching in Sept I would be careful. Check the migration patterns of Humpback whales. In May they were just finishing their migration to Alaska so we saw quite a few. You may be able to catch them before the head back to Hawaii and/or Mexico to mate. I have seen the Humpbacks in Mexico and Alaskan. They didn't breech in Alaska. I wonder if breeching is a mate thing.
There are humpbacks here year-round, and the main migration doesn't begin until October and November. A cruise in September should be a great time to watch whales.

I saw a cow humpback and her calf breaching and playing just yesterday here near Juneau, so no... it's not a mating thing... just "play" that they must not have been in the mood for when you were here.

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case
Old May 23rd, 2008, 12:08 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default thanks

thanks guys, i'm sure the trip will be nice. Havent been to alaska in 5 years, been wanting to go.
Old May 29th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Wow Yukon,
I loved viewing your Alaska pictures, awesome!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 12th, 2008, 11:33 PM
Passenger

Virginia,
We have been to ISP 3 times and have gone whalewatching all 3 times, twice with FISHES. The best whalewatching we have ever had and we have worked at it on about 15 trips.

The advantage of Floyd over the ship tour is that he has a much faster boat and can move from spot to spot quicker. We were near the ship tour for a while. In fact, on one of our days last July, the whales could be seen right from the ship anchored in the harbor. There was also a bear on the shoreline visible from the ship. They just aren't as close.

Check out photos from Floyd's trips.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jq4653
Old June 13th, 2008, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
We took an Alaskan cruise in mid May 2006 that included Icy Strait Point. It is a very small town. Since you have talking about Whale Watching in Sept I would be careful. Check the migration patterns of Humpback whales. In May they were just finishing their migration to Alaska so we saw quite a few. You may be able to catch them before the head back to Hawaii and/or Mexico to mate. I have seen the Humpbacks in Mexico and Alaskan. They didn't breech in Alaska. I wonder if breeching is a mate thing.

As already noted, this post is not accurate. Humpbacks are in Icy Strait ALL cruise season. Point Adolphus is a very common humpback area, which many cruiseships- when going to Skagway, will stop at from Glacier Bay. IF you have left Skagway and heading to Glacier Bay, it pays to be out 1/2 hour prior to the posted dawn time. I have frequently seen humpbacks here.

They also most certainly breech in Alaska. However, it is unlikely to see it, since it is chance, and the prime reason for Alaska is food 24/7. There is, overall, more breeching in Hawaii. They do not mate in Alaska, that's in Hawaii along with giving birth.
Old June 13th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16
Quote:

As already noted, this post is not accurate. Humpbacks are in Icy Strait ALL cruise season. Point Adolphus is a very common humpback area, which many cruiseships- when going to Skagway, will stop at from Glacier Bay. IF you have left Skagway and heading to Glacier Bay, it pays to be out 1/2 hour prior to the posted dawn time. I have frequently seen humpbacks here.

They also most certainly breech in Alaska. However, it is unlikely to see it, since it is chance, and the prime reason for Alaska is food 24/7. There is, overall, more breeching in Hawaii. They do not mate in Alaska, that's in Hawaii along with giving birth.
The breeching was my personal experience, that is why I put the question mark. I didn't know if they breeched in Alaska. However, I had seen it in Mexico where they breed.

My post was to check to make certain the humpback whale were there year around. And now that TWO PEOPLE have stated that I was wrong. We now know I was wrong and humpbacked whales are there year around. I will go back and delete it from the original post so it's not brothersome any longer. I was only trying to help.

Whale watching is a wonderful experience and one I won't forget. Alaska is very pretty place and I would love to return.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Everybody

Hi guys,
A big thanks to all who helped me to go with fishes.com, in icy strait point.
Yukon, you got to think about taking capt floyd's tour, with your pictures,
jg, you also helped me with your pictures, and now know what to expect, your pictures are WOW!! Now, my last question, i was planning to get up at 7 a.m., the morning when the serenade of the seas gets into icy strait, be about 10 a.m. when we get there, be out on deck, armed with camera and binoculars, ready to take aim and shoot at whales, eagles or whatever, hope there will something to take pictures of?

THANKS,
Virginia
Old June 14th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Everybody

Hi guys,
jg, you also helped me with your pictures, and now know what to expect, your pictures are WOW!! Now, my last question, i was planning to get up at 7 a.m., the morning when the serenade of the seas gets into icy strait, be about 10 a.m. when we get there, be out on deck, armed with camera and binoculars, ready to take aim and shoot at whales, eagles or whatever, hope there will something to take pictures of?

THANKS,
Virginia
Old June 16th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Everybody

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottacruz
Hi guys,

THANKS,
Virginia
It is difficult to take photos of whales from a cruiseship. You may be better off just viewing them with your binoculars. To pass Point Adolphus in your timeframe, you have to be heading east with your ship, which appears so, due to your timing. Where are you coming from?

You are best to spend all this time out at a front open deck.
Old June 16th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default icy strait point

Hi Karen16,
from the looks of the brochure, we leave vancouver on sat, inside passage on sun, icy strait on mon, hubbard glacier, skagway, juneau, inside passage, then vancouver. Is that any help?

Thanks,
virginia