Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 10:41 PM
Passenger

Default Alaskan weather

We are cruising to Alaska from Seattle(rt) at the end of August into September. This is our second Alaskan cruise, but the last was from Vancouver at the end of July into August. What should we expect from the weather and how late will it be light in the evening? We had great weather the last time and it was light until 10pm at least. I know it won't be light that late. That was a fantastic trip and we're hoping for another one, although the itinerary is not the same. Will whales still be there? Will there be fall color? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Dusk is about 8-9pm with extended twilight. Be well prepared for varied weather. It will be colder. Yes, humpbacks don't migrate until well past the cruise season. As for fall colors, not nearly as significant as I get. More yellows, but the best place to see it is with a car rental out of Skagway, and get into the Yukon. Reserve Avis NOW< if of interest.
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:41 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Karen. We won't be going to Skagway, so a car won't be needed. Any idea, on average, what the low and high temps would be?
Old June 5th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Admiral

A wide possible range of temps.
Old June 6th, 2008, 11:18 PM
Passenger

I did an early September cruise on that same route in 2003. The natives in both Ketchikan and Juneau told us we were unusually lucky not to see rain, because I guess that is an almost daily occurence, but we didn't see a drop! It was icy cold when we pulled into Skagway... so much so that I bought a head-scarf there. Seward wasn't much milder, though we then drove up into Anchorage which was very pleasant. We were glad we had taken jackets and clothes that could be layered. The fall colors were nice, not breath-taking. Clear, crisp mountain views were impressive
Old June 7th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Ruby. We'll definitely be prepared for all kinds of weather. On our last trip, we really had great weather.