Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 2nd, 2008, 09:50 PM
Passenger

Default Seattle's Best

We will be spending two full days in Seattle prior to our Alaskan cruise. We won't have a car. What would you recommend seeing in the city? We are also looking for great food, but on the casual side. Thanks for any advice.
Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2008, 11:53 AM
Passenger

Space Need is the old standby, and views from the top are definitely worth it... also Pike Place Market is a favorite for history, street performers, shopping, fish-flinging -- although the tossing doesn't take place as often as tour books would lead one to believe but a day spent there is fun -- we had unique meals, did some wine-tasting. the vintange Paramount Theatre was quite interesting... the only thing we found disappointing was the aquarium, which was small and crowded, not worth the entrance price for the modest marine collection.

We ran out of time before being able to ride one of the "Duck Tours" there -- but we have Ducks in our hometown that we take guests on, and that's always fun. It's always a better way to see the city than an enclosed bus! if you don't hire a car but stay near the needle & market, the ticket booth for this is right in the same area...
Old June 9th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to richluv4u
Default Renting Cars in Seattle

Hey Toleys,

I'm going to Alaska July 6th and coming back on July 13th. You can actually rent a car from Thrifty Car rental. I'm paying $22.99 + tax=$ 26.00 for Med size car. They will pick up from pier 30 and take you to Pier 48 to pick up rental. You can also drop off car at airport, no addtional charge. So you might look into a rental to get around better in the city besides down town. With the money your spending on shuttle to get back to airport, it is cheaper to rent a car.

Star Princess, Can't wait
Hi Im a 43yr old Female looking for last minute cruise For June 6th to the 14th. Haven't booked anything yet. Wanted to find cabin mate first to share cost. Would prefer female, but would consider a male.

Have been on two cruise prior and my last one was to Alaska this time last year in May. If your intersted please let me A.S.A.P
Old June 11th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Beginner

Default Seattle

Hey just came back from an Alaskan Cruise on June 1st and we spent several days in Seattle. We rented a car from Advantage for $9.84 a day (Economy). We got a ride to the airport with our friends (they flew out) and the company came to the airport to pick us up and take us back to the office to do the paper work. You must go to the Pike Place Market. We loved it.
Old June 16th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Familiar Face

Does anyone know or remember when they were in Seattle if there are car rental kiosks in the cruise terminals? Also what about public transportation in Seattle? Isn't it pretty good? Thrify car rental is the only rental place I see advertised that lets you rent a car at the cruise pier and drop it off at the airport without a fee. Any info would be very helpful.
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 17th, 2008, 02:03 AM
Beginner

Last June, we rented at the aipport and dropped off the van at pier 48. After the cruise we did the reverse, rented at the pier and dropped off at the airport. There is a shuttle from the cruise pier to pier 48. There is a rental desk at the cruise terminal. Fill out the paperwork there, shuttle to pier 48 and pick up the rental. We spent two days before our cruise in Seattle. Our return flight did not leave until midnight so we had a whole day upon our return to spend in Seattle.
Old June 17th, 2008, 05:50 PM
Admiral

Tracyd1014,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
Does anyone know or remember when they were in Seattle if there are car rental kiosks in the cruise terminals? Also what about public transportation in Seattle? Isn't it pretty good? Thrify car rental is the only rental place I see advertised that lets you rent a car at the cruise pier and drop it off at the airport without a fee. Any info would be very helpful.
For public transportation in Seattle, options are pretty limited.

>> There are ferries to various islands and across Puget Sound to Bremerton.

>> There's the monorail built to transport passengers between downtown and the fairgrounds, site of the Space Needle, for the Seattle World's Fair.

>> There are two significant Amtrak lines -- the eastward line to Chicago, which, IIRC, has about triweekly service, and the north-south line, which has three or four trains per day to Portland and Vancover and daily service to California.

>> And IIRC, there's a relatively new light rail line running north and south more or less along the waterfront.

But I would not rely on public transportation to get around the Seattle area.

I should add that there's a lot to see and to do in and around Seattle, but much of it is outside the city. Mount Rainier (aka Mount Tahoma or Mount Tacoma), readily visible above the clouds to the south from the ferries crossing Puget Sound, is the centerpiece a large park with hiking trails, etc. There's also a nice visitors' center at the salmon ladder along the channel between Puget Sound and Lake Washington that's worth a visit. I recommend picking up a guidebook to the area at a local bookstore as it will describe a lot more attractions in and around Seattle than I can discuss here.

Finally, you might want to consider staying at a hotel outside of the city rather than downtown. There's a strip right near the airport with a lot of hotels and restaurants that are much less expensive than their downtown counterparts.

Have a great trip!

Norm.
Old June 18th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Familiar Face

After trying a couple of times a day to rent from Thrify, we finally got a car. So someone must have cancelled their car or Thrify made more cars available. Now they do have a drop off charge of $15 for renting at the pier and returning the car to the airport. But that's OK. Anyhow, we bit the bullet are will be renting a car. We are excited about the cruise and looking forward to our extra day and a half in Seattle. The final countdown is coming! Thanks for all the info on Seattle.

No Cruise 2009, Daughter's Wedding is our Vacation
Star Princess-Alaska 2008
Star Princess-Alaska (again) 2009
HAL Oosterdam - New Year's 2009 into 2010
Carnival Spirit-Baja Birthday Cruise 2010
NCL Spirit - W Caribbean Bday Cruise Oct 2011
Island Princess -Alaska to Denali 2012
Coral Princess - Panama Canal 2013
2014 Booked - Azamara Barcelona to Monte
Carlo
2015 Booked - Carnival Dream to Caribbean

Read and post cruise reviews
Old June 18th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Passenger

Send a message via Yahoo to richluv4u
Default Tracy d 1014- renting cars

Hi I hope you guys have fun on your trip, I will be going on the Star Princess on July 6th and can't wait. This time however I will take the ferrry over to Haines from Skaway, due to their is more wildlife over thier and some of the bears will be out at the streams. Please tell me how your trip went when you guys return. By the way glad you got a rental car for Seattle. Their is alot to do, check out Tripadvisor.com and put in Seattle for the search and it will give you all the info you need for the city. Have fun you your trip!!!!
Hi Im a 43yr old Female looking for last minute cruise For June 6th to the 14th. Haven't booked anything yet. Wanted to find cabin mate first to share cost. Would prefer female, but would consider a male.

Have been on two cruise prior and my last one was to Alaska this time last year in May. If your intersted please let me A.S.A.P