Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to ket920
Default getting from Seward to Anchorage

What is the best way to get from the port in Seward to Anchorage?

Free Cruise Clocks
Sponsored Links
Old June 4th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Alaska RR. One train per day, leaving at 6pm. Of course it depends when you have to be in Anchorage. IF you are leaving the same day, you can not have a flight before 1am. This offers you the fantastic opportunity for Seward sightseeing, with my top pick a Kenai Fjords boat tour, a do not miss.
Old June 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM
Passenger

Thanks, Karen.

We fly out of Anchorage at 8:40 pm.

Free Cruise Clocks
Old June 5th, 2008, 10:51 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ket920
Thanks, Karen.

We fly out of Anchorage at 8:40 pm.
Only option then would be bus, cruise contracted train or costly one way rental car with Hertz.
Old June 5th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Thanks, again!

Free Cruise Clocks
Old July 2nd, 2008, 03:01 PM
Beginner

We are taking our first CRUISE to ALASKA in two weeks, July 18th sailing on the RADIANCE OF THE SEAS. We will be spending the night in Seward, and flying out of Anchorage, also about 8:00 PM in the evening. I was referred to , and have booked THE MAGIC BUS company....we have a party of 3 couples (six people) and Tim at the THE MAGIC BUS company has personalized a tour for us. They are going to pick us up at our hotel (but can also arrange to pick you up at the pier), take us to Summit Glacier Lodge for coffee, take us to the Wildlife Conservation Center, Take us to Portage Glacier Lodge for Lunch, drop us in Anchorage for some shopping and dinner at Glacierbrewhouse while they keep our luggage, and then pick us up after dinner and transport us to the airport.

Tim has modeled the transportation specific to our needs and I am really looking forward to it and his company was highly recommended.

tmelican@themagicbus.com]

You can also find info about them at www.themagicbus.com
Old July 2nd, 2008, 05:07 PM
Admiral

Default Re: getting from Seward to Anchorage

ket920,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
What is the best way to get from the port in Seward to Anchorage?
I basically agree with Karen's suggestion of taking the train. The rail cars are a LOT more comfortable than a "motorcoach" and the train also has a dining car with food and beverage service en route. Also, the scenery from that segment of the rail line absolutely magnificent!

If you have an afternoon flight from Anchorage, most cruise lines now offer a "Grandview Rail Transfer" that's also operated by the Alaska Railroad. The difference is that the dedicated train leaves right from the pier rather than from the station in Seward and it goes to a new rail station joined to the main passenger terminal at Anchorage International Airport rather than to the main railroad station on First Street. This would also be a good option if you need to get to the airport to pick up a rental car with which to explore the interior on your own.

Norm.
Old July 20th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Beginner

Default arrangements made thru Celebrity Cruises

I'm a newbie at this, so please bear with me. In our Guest Ticket Booklet, we have a voucher from pier in Seward to the airport (Anchorage. Our directions just say we will be met by a cruise line rep who will direct us to awaiting transportation for transfer to the airport. Does anyone know what means of transportation this involves? Thanks
Old July 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Admiral

Default Re: arrangements made thru Celebrity Cruises

Quote:
Originally Posted by california girl
I'm a newbie at this, so please bear with me. In our Guest Ticket Booklet, we have a voucher from pier in Seward to the airport (Anchorage. Our directions just say we will be met by a cruise line rep who will direct us to awaiting transportation for transfer to the airport. Does anyone know what means of transportation this involves? Thanks
BUS. It is always an extra charge that you have to book if you want the train. Unfortunately, going with the cruise contracted train, involves about a 40% surcharge compared to booking direct.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:37 PM
Admiral

Karen16,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
BUS. It is always an extra charge that you have to book if you want the train. Unfortunately, going with the cruise contracted train, involves about a 40% surcharge compared to booking direct.
With an 8:40 PM flight, the "Grandview Rail Transfer" is their only train option.

I think that it's worth the extra cost It means room to get up and move around, food and beverage service en route, and spectacular scenery along the rail line that one cannot see from any road.

Norm.
Old July 27th, 2008, 08:15 PM
Beginner

(I'm also a newbie). We're going on our first Alaska cruise in Sept & sailing southbound from Seward to Vancouver. We booked the 6:45 Coastal train out of Anchorage (to Seward), but now that I'm reading about the cruise lines direct rail service ie. transfer - I'm thinking that might be a better option. Does anyone know the cost involved and what time the cruise rail transfer would be approximately? Thanks in advance.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Admiral

SmeoneSpcl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
(I'm also a newbie). We're going on our first Alaska cruise in Sept & sailing southbound from Seward to Vancouver. We booked the 6:45 Coastal train out of Anchorage (to Seward), but now that I'm reading about the cruise lines direct rail service ie. transfer - I'm thinking that might be a better option. Does anyone know the cost involved and what time the cruise rail transfer would be approximately? Thanks in advance.
IIRC, the cruise line's rail transfer southbound leaves the airport station around noon, and your travel agent must book it for you through your cruise line.

If you have already paid for your cruise, you probably can add the rail transfer to your booking so long as there are still seats available on the train.

Norm.
Old July 28th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Admiral

california girl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by You
If it does not say otherwise, it's a bus transfer. If you wish to use the rail transfer, you need to have your travel agent upgrade your booking and pay the difference in fare.

On a Northbound cruise, it also might be possible to upgrade your transfer through the shore excursion desk depending upon the details of your booking package. Nonetheless, it's better to have your travel agent do this before the start of your cruise if that's possible.

Norm.
Old July 29th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Beginner

Thanks very much Norm!
I called my travel agent, and she said there is still room on the rail transfer if I want to add it to my cruise fare. It's $99 - they pick me up from the Marriott hotel in Anchorage, bus me over to the train depot, I take the train from Anchorage to Seward, and then a bus picks me up and takes me to the cruise terminal. Since the train isn't until 11:30, it doesn't leave me any time in Seward to sightsee, but it's probably a better choice for my mom (she's my traveling companion & she's disabled). Thanks again for your help.
Old July 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Admiral

Sorry, but I NEVER recommend the cruise contracted train for getting to Seward. This train leaves too early out of Anchorage and arrives too late in Seward to do much of anything. You would be FAR better off, getting up early and taking the regular run and enjoying a day of touring wonderful Seward. Plenty to see and do.

You can book the railroad yourself- easily. $69. As suggestions, my top tour recommendation is a Kenai fjords boat tour, IF you want to see wildlife, this is the trip to take, just loaded, plus a close up glacier view. FAR superior to anything you will see from your cruiseship. There is Seavey's Sled dog tours, Exit Glacier, Alaska Sealife Center, etc. Consider taking advantage of being there.
Old August 7th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Beginner

Default Travel from Anchorage to Seward

We just got back from our Alaska Cruise, we had contracted with MAGIC BUS to transport us from Seward to Anchorage. they also transport from Anchorage to Seward.

I must tell you that service was EXCELLENT, and whomever suggested that the scenery would be less than going by rail is really underestimating the service we got. We were picked up in the morning and given many options of "to do's" for the trip. the van could hold 11 passengers with lots or room, luggage in the back and everyone got a window seat OUr driver was AWESOME, we saw Moose standing out in the open and "Patrick" our driver was able to turn around so we could get out and take pictures. We saw a bear walking down the railroad tracks and another that walked right in front of our shuttle van. We visited the Summit Lake Lodge which was just beautiful, the Alpine Inn which has a tram to the top of the mountain and you can have lunch, the wildlife refuge where we saw moose, musk ox, bear, elk, caribou, and buffalo. The van drove us thru the park, and we could get out and go up to the different animal exhibits for $5.00 per person...it was GREAT. Patrick then asked us if we would like to go to the Anchorage flea market, he dropped us off and gave us his cell phone so that we could call when we were ready to leave. We were dropped off at the airport right in time for check in to fly home. I can not say enough about this service.

they will custom create your tour.