Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Destinations > Alaska
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Beginner

Default please help me with excursion ideas

I am looking for suggestions for Juneau excursions. Would love to see Mendenhall glacier (but can't do the helicoptor). Is there an excursion that allows time to hike around and get some good pictures?

I have heard of a shuttle for $14. Can anyone give me information on that and is that a good way to see the glacier?

Also, I was wondering if anyone has done the Photo safari by land and sea and any opinions about that excursion.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Captain

The bus to Mendenhall can be found at the docks as well as other excursions. The visitor center has a small charge to enter. There are hiking trails to the falls, etc. Not sure how close to the glacier you can get however.

I recommend taking a whalewatch trip if you can. A little over $100 per person I believe. They can drop you at the glacier as well I believe, at least they did when we went. This is an awsome trip.

Mt Roberts Tram is very nice also. Hiking trails, museaum, shop. No need to book ahead since they're right at the dock. Can't miss it. And if the weather's bad....don't bother.
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Admiral

Mendenhall shuttle buses have ticket booths at the dock for $14 round trip. There is no glacier access, from the visitor center side and the closest you can get is an unofficial trail, walking along the lake edge to the waterfall. Have solid and waterproof foot wear. There are several trails to consider, but most have extremely limited views of the glacier. IF you want glacier access, you can take a guided hike from the West side, with Above and Beyond.
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Old June 12th, 2008, 02:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen16
... IF you want glacier access, you can take a guided hike from the West side, with Above and Beyond.
It's probably worth a call to Gastineau Guiding and NorthStar Trekking to see what sorts of guided glacier hikes they've got available as well.

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case