CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Alaska (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/)
-   -   Can-Can-Case QUESTION (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/alaska/352397-can-can-case-question.html)

cruzzz1000 June 17th, 2008 09:58 PM

Can-Can-Case QUESTION

CanCan,

Is it rainy all day in Juneau right now (6-18-08)?
From the Yahoo weather...........it indicates rainy/stormy for 3 weeks now and will continue for the next week to 10 days.

I want to know if there is any sunshine at all during the day?

Thanks

richluv4u June 18th, 2008 10:59 AM

Weather

Good luck with mother nature you can never tell, but with the weather site if it says rain then more that likley it is. I live in Texas and it rained all summner last year. And this year it has been 100 ever day since the end of May and no rain in site. I too have been tracking the weather since I will be in Juneau on July 9th, stay dry and bring an umbrella.

Yukon June 18th, 2008 12:25 PM

You can see conditions "live" on the Juneau webcams at http://www.juneau.lib.ak.us/cam/southcam.php and http://www.juneau.lib.ak.us/cam/northcam.php

CanCanCase June 19th, 2008 11:26 PM

Re: Can-Can-Case QUESTION

Quote:

Originally Posted by cruzzz1000
CanCan,

Is it rainy all day in Juneau right now (6-18-08)?
From the Yahoo weather...........it indicates rainy/stormy for 3 weeks now and will continue for the next week to 10 days.

I want to know if there is any sunshine at all during the day?

Thanks

Sorry I missed this yesterday... we were out fishing (and catching!) all day.

It was a little breezy in the morning, but calmed down in the afternoon to a nice overcast day. Today started rainy, but by the time I finished with my morning charter, it was sunny and warm in Auke Bay...

Never trust the forecasts more than about 3-hours out around here...

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case

richluv4u June 20th, 2008 09:49 AM

Fishing/Weather

Hey Case,

So how was the fishing in Juneau? Did you catch very many fish? I take it your on a cruise ship or are you a local? I will be in Skaway on July 10th and hook up with a company out of Haines to go fishing. The explain to me that the Hailbut will be coming into shallow waters at that time also King Salmon.

CanCanCase June 20th, 2008 11:34 AM

Re: Fishing/Weather

Quote:

Originally Posted by richluv4u
Hey Case,

So how was the fishing in Juneau? Did you catch very many fish? I take it your on a cruise ship or are you a local? I will be in Skaway on July 10th and hook up with a company out of Haines to go fishing. The explain to me that the Hailbut will be coming into shallow waters at that time also King Salmon.

Fishing yesterday was a bit slow, but I suspect the tides had a bit to do with things... my guests couldn't make their tour until just after low tide, and the King Salmon bite has been just before low tide this week.

I'm definitely not "on" a cruise ship, unless you consider the Can Can to be one! Born and raised Juneau local... I'm a "native Alaskan" but NOT and "Alaskan native"...

Reading around the various forums, you'll find that of the major cruise ports, Haines/Skagway comes LAST for quality fishing experiences. Both towns are at the extreme Northern end of Lynn Canal, with only a few fish bearing streams and rivers to attract fish. Juneau, on the other hand, has over 200 fish bearing streams, and much larger runs of salmon. The halibut are arriving near Juneau right now, and only the smaller fish that travel three times the regular distance will end up near Skagway. (Sitka is really my favorite port for fishing around here, as it's right on the ocean - no "waiting" for fish to come inland.) I know most of the operators out of Skagway and Haines. No matter what the fishing is like, you WILL have a great time. Just be sure to check up on the safety record and 5-Star rating of whichever vessel you choose to fish from.

Oh, sorry to hijack a weather thread with so much fish talk... if anyone's still interested in the weather, it's mostly blue sky and sunny with a few high scattered clouds today... great day to be here! (Then again, that can change with only a few hours' notice...!)

Happy Alaska Travels!
-Case

richluv4u June 20th, 2008 02:31 PM

Juneau on a Dime

Hi Can Can,

Thanks for getting back to me so soon, I actually will be in Juneau on July 9th and looking for things to do for me and my 9 yr old son. I'm aware of the Whale watching, but last year a company canceled on us Last minute (Juneau Sportfishing) and they wouldn't bother helping us out this year. Not good Business pratice. Was wondering if going out and spending the money is really worth it just for me and my son. Or I should just take the bus to the Mendall Glacier, check that out and then head back to town after I stop by Jerrys Meats. Heard that they are good and cheap. As far as Haines I'm using Alaska Charters they are will to pick me up in Skaway and then drop off in Haines were I have a rental car waiting.

Single Mom

kenish July 2nd, 2008 12:26 AM

richluv4u- My 15yo son and I will be in Juneau on 7/9 also! If you're on the Zaandam, consider joining the roll call on the other big cruise message board with Critic in the name. Even if you're on another ship, consider the roll call.

Have a great trip, my son and I are excited !!

richluv4u July 2nd, 2008 09:59 AM

Fishing

Kenish My son and I are leaving out of Seattle on July 6th on the Star Princess. I did put out a roll call out but nobody has reply or they don't know about these boards. I see that you are in the same ports as we are. So are you a single dad or mom? Do have a question, I will be in Skagway and looking for extra person to go fishing with. I have a company that is willing to pick us up from Skagway and takes us out Hailbut fishing and Salmon for 199 each. He also mentioned that he would drop us off in haines if we like or back to skagway. My other back up plan is take the fast ferry over to Haines and I have a rental car waiting for me so we can go sightseeing. Let me know if you would be intersted.